The default bug view has changed. See this FAQ.

Exclude paused downloads from the Downloads Summary and update the related string

RESOLVED FIXED in Firefox 53

Status

()

Firefox
Downloads Panel
RESOLVED FIXED
11 months ago
26 days ago

People

(Reporter: seanlee, Assigned: seanlee)

Tracking

(Depends on: 1 bug, Blocks: 1 bug)

unspecified
Firefox 53
Points:
---
Dependency tree / graph

Firefox Tracking Flags

(firefox53 verified)

Details

(Whiteboard: [CHE-MVP])

MozReview Requests

()

Submitter Diff Changes Open Issues Last Updated
Loading...
Error loading review requests:

Attachments

(4 attachments)

(Assignee)

Description

11 months ago
There is a new summary section in downloads panel to provide the information about how many files downloading/completed, overall bandwidth, overall size progress, and ETA.
(Assignee)

Updated

11 months ago
Blocks: 1269956
No longer blocks: 1268398
(Assignee)

Updated

11 months ago
Blocks: 1269962
(Assignee)

Updated

11 months ago
Assignee: nobody → selee
(Assignee)

Comment 1

11 months ago
Based on the UX spec [1], there are some items have to be changed:
1. New Icon in summary section
2. Format change of downloading/completeness status
3. ETA format is changed to Xm XXs left
4. Show the overall network speed.

[1] https://mozilla.invisionapp.com/share/4Y6ZZH1E8#/screens/156737043
Summary: Implement the summary section for Multiple Files information in Downloads Panel → Change the summary section for Multiple Files information in Downloads Panel
(Assignee)

Comment 2

11 months ago
Created attachment 8750193 [details] [diff] [review]
WIP patch for Item 4: Show the overall network speed.

Comment 3

11 months ago
(In reply to Sean Lee [:seanlee][:weilonge] from comment #1)
> 1. New Icon in summary section

I'm looking at the design here (note that this may change if the document is edited in the meantime, as the link is live and does not point to a specific version):

https://mozilla.invisionapp.com/share/4Y6ZZH1E8#/screens/156737043

What I currently see as the icon is a set of stacked ZIP file icons. This is likely not the icon we would like to implement, right?

If the mockup indicates a dynamic icon that stacks the _actual_ file types for the other running downloads, it's probably much more work than the gain it gives. If the mockup actually meant to use a static icon, the icon is definitely not the final one. I wonder if there is a reason for changing the current static one.

> 2. Format change of downloading/completeness status

I guess you are referring to the new string in blue with a breakdown of download types. This approach may have localizability issues that must be taken into account, because it's possible that for some languages the information will not fit in one line unless the width of the panel is increased to an abnormal extent.

I think it's better to file a separate bug to discuss this change specifically.

> 3. ETA format is changed to Xm XXs left

This should also be a separate bug. Note that there is already bug 812894 on file, it refers to both the download items and the summary and it includes adding the download speed for each item.

> 4. Show the overall network speed.

This is tricky, and will also require a separate bug.

The value currently displayed in the summary is the speed of downloads that are _not_ visible in the panel. This makes sense because the summary is only displayed as an "overflow" indicator, and is exactly a representation of downloads that are not visible.

Because most users have only one or two downloads running at the same time, the utility of showing the overall download speed is greatly reduced if it is only displayed in the overflow summary. If in the future we show five items in the panel at most, the overflow will happen in less than 0.5% of cases.

If we want a simple approach, we could show the overall speed in the tooltip of the Downloads Indicator in the toolbar. A better and more discoverable approach would be to show the overall speed in the Downloads View when we move it from the Library window to a tab. In fact, the Downloads View is the main interface for cases where you have many downloads to keep an eye on.
See Also: → bug 812894
(Assignee)

Comment 4

11 months ago
Hey Paolo,

Thanks a lot for addressing these points!
Morpheus and Bryant who come out the spec for Downloads panel can help to provide some comments for your concerns.

Hey Morpheus, Bryant,

Could you help to provide your thoughts here? Thank you!
Flags: needinfo?(mochen)
Flags: needinfo?(bmao)

Comment 5

11 months ago
(In reply to :Paolo Amadini from comment #3)
> (In reply to Sean Lee [:seanlee][:weilonge] from comment #1)
> > 1. New Icon in summary section
> 
> I'm looking at the design here (note that this may change if the document is
> edited in the meantime, as the link is live and does not point to a specific
> version):
> 
> https://mozilla.invisionapp.com/share/4Y6ZZH1E8#/screens/156737043
> 
> What I currently see as the icon is a set of stacked ZIP file icons. This is
> likely not the icon we would like to implement, right?

Yes, it's just a metaphor for our draft spec. We will replace that one later on.

> If the mockup indicates a dynamic icon that stacks the _actual_ file types
> for the other running downloads, it's probably much more work than the gain
> it gives. If the mockup actually meant to use a static icon, the icon is
> definitely not the final one. I wonder if there is a reason for changing the
> current static one.

I'll let our visual designer to answer the question.

> > 2. Format change of downloading/completeness status
> 
> I guess you are referring to the new string in blue with a breakdown of
> download types. This approach may have localizability issues that must be
> taken into account, because it's possible that for some languages the
> information will not fit in one line unless the width of the panel is
> increased to an abnormal extent.
> 
> I think it's better to file a separate bug to discuss this change
> specifically.

What you say make sense, but we do have a way to deal with that situation. Our goal is try make user more aware of the download status of those hidden items by breaking down the string. When the string exceed the width of the thread, we will use dot to hint user that there are more information (ex. 3 downloading, 1 warning...). 

Meanwhile, there are priority for different status: Downloading > Warning (including fail and malware stuff) > Completed. So user will not lose important information even if some info has been pushed out of sight.
   
> > 3. ETA format is changed to Xm XXs left
> 
> This should also be a separate bug. Note that there is already bug 812894 on
> file, it refers to both the download items and the summary and it includes
> adding the download speed for each item.

Here are three things that are different from current design:
1. Change the word "remaining" back to "left"
2. Shrink the ETA format from "XX minutes, XX seconds" to "XX m XX s" 
3. Add individual download speed

The proposal here is quite similar to the one in bug 812894, only different in ETA format (correct me if I am wrong). But yes, we could move the discussion to bug 812894.

> > 4. Show the overall network speed.
> 
> This is tricky, and will also require a separate bug.
> 
> The value currently displayed in the summary is the speed of downloads that
> are _not_ visible in the panel. This makes sense because the summary is only
> displayed as an "overflow" indicator, and is exactly a representation of
> downloads that are not visible.
> 
> Because most users have only one or two downloads running at the same time,
> the utility of showing the overall download speed is greatly reduced if it
> is only displayed in the overflow summary. If in the future we show five
> items in the panel at most, the overflow will happen in less than 0.5% of
> cases.
> 
> If we want a simple approach, we could show the overall speed in the tooltip
> of the Downloads Indicator in the toolbar. A better and more discoverable
> approach would be to show the overall speed in the Downloads View when we
> move it from the Library window to a tab. In fact, the Downloads View is the
> main interface for cases where you have many downloads to keep an eye on.

Thanks for the valuable information. After discussion, we decide to remove the overall download speed from the overflow summary. First, it is because that the chances of overflow is quite low as you mentioned. Secondly, we think it's a secondary information and the estimated speed might not necessarily accurate.

It make sense to me to put overall speed into the download tab, since it's a place for more detail information for all the downloads. Btw, we are now planning to blend the download view into activity stream, but that would be another project to talk about.
Flags: needinfo?(mochen)
Flags: needinfo?(chuang)
Flags: needinfo?(bmao)

Comment 6

11 months ago
(In reply to :Paolo Amadini from comment #3)
> (In reply to Sean Lee [:seanlee][:weilonge] from comment #1)
> > 1. New Icon in summary section
> 
> I'm looking at the design here (note that this may change if the document is
> edited in the meantime, as the link is live and does not point to a specific
> version):
> 
> https://mozilla.invisionapp.com/share/4Y6ZZH1E8#/screens/156737043
> 
> What I currently see as the icon is a set of stacked ZIP file icons. This is
> likely not the icon we would like to implement, right?
> 
> If the mockup indicates a dynamic icon that stacks the _actual_ file types
> for the other running downloads, it's probably much more work than the gain
> it gives. If the mockup actually meant to use a static icon, the icon is
> definitely not the final one. I wonder if there is a reason for changing the
> current static one.

Hi Paolo,
https://mozilla.invisionapp.com/share/4Y6ZZH1E8#/screens/156737043
The mockup here is not the final visuals. We're not going to stacks the _actual_ file types. It will be a static icon to represent “multiple download files".
Thanks!



> > 2. Format change of downloading/completeness status
> 
> I guess you are referring to the new string in blue with a breakdown of
> download types. This approach may have localizability issues that must be
> taken into account, because it's possible that for some languages the
> information will not fit in one line unless the width of the panel is
> increased to an abnormal extent.
> 
> I think it's better to file a separate bug to discuss this change
> specifically.
> 
> > 3. ETA format is changed to Xm XXs left
> 
> This should also be a separate bug. Note that there is already bug 812894 on
> file, it refers to both the download items and the summary and it includes
> adding the download speed for each item.
> 
> > 4. Show the overall network speed.
> 
> This is tricky, and will also require a separate bug.
> 
> The value currently displayed in the summary is the speed of downloads that
> are _not_ visible in the panel. This makes sense because the summary is only
> displayed as an "overflow" indicator, and is exactly a representation of
> downloads that are not visible.
> 
> Because most users have only one or two downloads running at the same time,
> the utility of showing the overall download speed is greatly reduced if it
> is only displayed in the overflow summary. If in the future we show five
> items in the panel at most, the overflow will happen in less than 0.5% of
> cases.
> 
> If we want a simple approach, we could show the overall speed in the tooltip
> of the Downloads Indicator in the toolbar. A better and more discoverable
> approach would be to show the overall speed in the Downloads View when we
> move it from the Library window to a tab. In fact, the Downloads View is the
> main interface for cases where you have many downloads to keep an eye on.
Flags: needinfo?(chuang) → needinfo?(paolo.mozmail)

Comment 7

10 months ago
(In reply to Bryant Mao [:bryantmao] from comment #5)
> The proposal here is quite similar to the one in bug 812894, only different
> in ETA format (correct me if I am wrong). But yes, we could move the
> discussion to bug 812894.

Yeah, I think it's the same. It makes sense to reuse bug 812894, and file new bugs for each of the other parts this bug is composed of.

(In reply to Carol Huang [:Carol] from comment #6)
> We're not going to stacks the
> _actual_ file types. It will be a static icon to represent “multiple
> download files".

Thanks!
Flags: needinfo?(paolo.mozmail)
(Assignee)

Comment 8

10 months ago
I summarize the above discussion and come out a action item for this bug:
1. New Icon in summary section
    - Carol will provide a static icon to represent “multiple download files".

2. Format change of downloading/completeness status
> > 
> > I guess you are referring to the new string in blue with a breakdown of
> > download types. This approach may have localizability issues that must be
> > taken into account, because it's possible that for some languages the
> > information will not fit in one line unless the width of the panel is
> > increased to an abnormal extent.
> > 
> > I think it's better to file a separate bug to discuss this change
> > specifically.
> 
> What you say make sense, but we do have a way to deal with that situation.
> Our goal is try make user more aware of the download status of those hidden
> items by breaking down the string. When the string exceed the width of the
> thread, we will use dot to hint user that there are more information (ex. 3
> downloading, 1 warning...). 
> 
> Meanwhile, there are priority for different status: Downloading > Warning
> (including fail and malware stuff) > Completed. So user will not lose
> important information even if some info has been pushed out of sight.
>    

3. ETA format is changed to Xm XXs left - go to bug 812894 and discuss there.


Hey Paolo, do you agree that we implement the item 1 & 2 in this bug? I suppose that the only one item we have to discuss is the item 2.
Flags: needinfo?(paolo.mozmail)

Comment 9

10 months ago
(In reply to :Paolo Amadini from comment #7)
> (In reply to Bryant Mao [:bryantmao] from comment #5)
> > The proposal here is quite similar to the one in bug 812894, only different
> > in ETA format (correct me if I am wrong). But yes, we could move the
> > discussion to bug 812894.
> 
> Yeah, I think it's the same. It makes sense to reuse bug 812894, and file
> new bugs for each of the other parts this bug is composed of.
> 

One more thing which different from current ETA format is that we'll remove "minutes" when the remaining time is above 1 hr, as we think under this time scale "minutes" becomes less necessary to show.

BTW, what do you think about the proposal of new summary string? Is it feasible?

Comment 10

10 months ago
(In reply to Sean Lee [:seanlee][:weilonge] from comment #8)
> Hey Paolo, do you agree that we implement the item 1 & 2 in this bug? I
> suppose that the only one item we have to discuss is the item 2.

I don't see why you wouldn't want to change the overflow icon sooner, or at least independently, from changing the summary string, but of course you can start working on this in whichever way you feel more effective. The only constraint is that all patches must have a review and land before the bug can be closed, if you have multiple patches you cannot close the bug until all of them have landed.

(In reply to Bryant Mao [:bryantmao] from comment #9)
> BTW, what do you think about the proposal of new summary string? Is it
> feasible?

You may be interested in the discussion in bug 1255546 and the time intervals one in bug 1186262. They have references to the plural form in time indications specifically, but these can be generalized to any string that has multiple components to it. You'll need an additional review from the localization team on any solution that combines more that one number in the same line.
Flags: needinfo?(paolo.mozmail)
Quick note:

1. only work on below 2 items here, based on above.
   a. New Icon in summary section
   b. Format change of downloading/completeness status

Two open topics remaining before proceeding

2. to use 812894 for ETA, which is assigned already? --> will check with current bug owner. 
3. Need UX to look into bug 1255546 & bug 1186262 for considering --> will get UX's support.

Updated

10 months ago
Depends on: 812894
Confirmed[1][2] with Mike so link 812894 to this one.

[1]https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=812894#c41
[2]https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=812894#c42

Updated

10 months ago
Flags: needinfo?(bmao)
Whiteboard: [CHE-MVP]
(Assignee)

Updated

8 months ago
Depends on: 1287384
(Assignee)

Comment 13

8 months ago
There are two regressions[1][2] relative to this bug, so I will check this bug later after investigating the regressions.

[1] Bug 1287384 comment 4
[2] Bug 1280709 comment 24
Flags: needinfo?(bmao)
(Assignee)

Comment 14

8 months ago
roll back ni of bmao
Flags: needinfo?(bmao)
Comment hidden (mozreview-request)
(Assignee)

Comment 16

7 months ago
(In reply to Bryant Mao [:bryantmao] from comment #5)
> (In reply to :Paolo Amadini from comment #3)
> > (In reply to Sean Lee [:seanlee][:weilonge] from comment #1)
> > > 3. ETA format is changed to Xm XXs left
> > 
> > This should also be a separate bug. Note that there is already bug 812894 on
> > file, it refers to both the download items and the summary and it includes
> > adding the download speed for each item.
> 
> Here are three things that are different from current design:
> 1. Change the word "remaining" back to "left"
> 2. Shrink the ETA format from "XX minutes, XX seconds" to "XX m XX s" 
> 3. Add individual download speed
> 
> The proposal here is quite similar to the one in bug 812894, only different
> in ETA format (correct me if I am wrong). But yes, we could move the
> discussion to bug 812894.
> 

Based on the above discussion, I think we can remove the dependency bug 812894 in this bug, but it still should be the part of the new design of Downloads Panel.
No longer depends on: 812894
(Assignee)

Updated

7 months ago
Blocks: 1297039
(Assignee)

Updated

7 months ago
No longer blocks: 1297039
Comment hidden (mozreview-request)
(Assignee)

Comment 18

7 months ago
Based on the previous discussion, there are three items should be implemented in this bug:
1. Download Type Icon with error/warning badge.
2. File downloading description in summary section.
3. Hover behavior in summary section.

Please see this spec to see the detail information:
https://mozilla.invisionapp.com/share/4Y6ZZH1E8#/screens/162255324
(Assignee)

Comment 19

7 months ago
Created attachment 8783908 [details]
Disabled Clear Preview Panel button

Clear Preview Panel button is disabled when a downloading file is been paused.
The incorrect behavior can be reproduced with the patch at attachment 8782840 [details].
I am investigating this issue now.
(Assignee)

Comment 20

7 months ago
Hey Bryant,

Per our offline discussion, there are some items in the spec [1] should be clarified:
A. When there are some paused files in summary section, how the summary details present information. e.g. progress in bytes.
B. Consider PAUSED state for summary description.
C. Probably need to refine/consider the string combination.

Could you help to clarify the above items? Thank you.

[1] https://mozilla.invisionapp.com/share/4Y6ZZH1E8#/screens/162255324
(Assignee)

Updated

7 months ago
No longer blocks: 1269962
Depends on: 1269962
Comment hidden (mozreview-request)
(Assignee)

Comment 22

7 months ago
Comment on attachment 8782840 [details]
Bug 1269958 - Change the information details of the summary section in Downloads Panel.

Hey Paolo,

Could you help to give this patch a feedback?

The patch includes the following changes:
* The hover behavior in Summary Section when [showingsummary] is true.
* New design in #downloadsSummaryDescription
  - The draft will be refined again until the spec confirmed. (comment 20)
* .downloadTypeIcon in Summary with attention badge.
  - The attention SVG will be replaced with the latest design later.

Thank you! :)
Attachment #8782840 - Flags: feedback?(paolo.mozmail)

Comment 23

7 months ago
Comment on attachment 8782840 [details]
Bug 1269958 - Change the information details of the summary section in Downloads Panel.

(In reply to Sean Lee [:seanlee][:weilonge] from comment #22)
> Could you help to give this patch a feedback?

Thanks for putting together some example code, it really helps understanding the scope of the bug. Obviously since there is no localization yet I assume this represents an early stage proposal.

In its current form, I'm worried about the complexity we're adding, and the effort required from us and the localization team to implement this properly, compared to the benefit.

> The patch includes the following changes:
> * The hover behavior in Summary Section when [showingsummary] is true.

I haven't looked specifically at the styles now, but I think this part will be straightforward. You can even consider moving it to its own small bug to land sooner.

> * New design in #downloadsSummaryDescription
>   - The draft will be refined again until the spec confirmed. (comment 20)

This will need localization and plural form support. Many languages also have much longer strings than English and we may overflow the available space even in simple cases, not to speak of all the potential additional information in this patch.

While the design is developed, I think it should focus on displaying just the most important information in the simplest possible way.

> * .downloadTypeIcon in Summary with attention badge.
>   - The attention SVG will be replaced with the latest design later.

Malware is already rare, multiple downloads are even rarer. How common will be the intersection?

Well, actually we already know as we've implemented the telemetry probes. I can look at Beta telemetry. Of all downloads, 99.5% are safe. Of all downloads, 95% run on their own, not in parallel with other downloads. I'd say that the chance of unsafe downloads overflowing during normal browser usage is less than 0.025%.

And what's the risk if a blocked download is missed because it is not in the panel? The download is still quarantined until action is taken, and the next time Firefox starts or the panel is cleared the item will be there for the user to take action.

I don't think the code complexity and maintenance burden of this badge is worth the reward.
Attachment #8782840 - Flags: feedback?(paolo.mozmail)

Comment 24

7 months ago
Comment on attachment 8782840 [details]
Bug 1269958 - Change the information details of the summary section in Downloads Panel.

There is also an architectural issue with regard to keeping count of completed and failed downloads. You may see this if you experiment a bit with your proof of concept implementation.

We store historical download in the Places database, and we don't access this data unless needed because it would degrade performance significantly. When you start the browser, these historical succeeded and failed downloads are not among those displayed in the Panel.

When you open the Library window, we display this historical data alongside the downloads that have failed or have completed in this session. However, these downloads from the current session are displayed just like historical downloads, because there is no reason to display them differently.

So, if you show something like "+ 1 downloading, 2 completed" in the overflow panel, when it's clicked the user may find that there is indeed one download running, but five completed. How to explain this inconsistency?

When the running download terminates, we currently hide the summary. So, in addition to the above, the information that would show "+ 3 completed" simply won't be displayed.
(Assignee)

Comment 25

7 months ago
Hey Paolo,

Thanks a lot for providing your concerns.
After having a discussion with Bryant to describe your concern, we do think there are some cases should be refined.
These items are summarized here:
- Summary description (attention badge is relative as well)
- confusion of Panel Session data v.s. Library/Places data.

UX team is going to discuss these items and provide their thoughts later.

After considering comment 23 and comment 20, these two items are what we think should be still refined:
- The hover behavior in Summary Section when [showingsummary] is true.
    - Fire bug 1298276 to implement it separately
- When there are some paused files in summary section, the summary details should present information. e.g. progress in bytes.
    - The exact spec is not came out yet, and this could be implemented in a separate bug.

May I know your comment for the above summary? Thank you.
Flags: needinfo?(paolo.mozmail)

Comment 26

7 months ago
(In reply to Sean Lee [:seanlee][:weilonge] from comment #25)
> - The hover behavior in Summary Section when [showingsummary] is true.
>     - Fire bug 1298276 to implement it separately

Thanks, I've reviewed the patch there.

> - When there are some paused files in summary section, the summary details
> should present information. e.g. progress in bytes.

Sounds like a great idea! This doesn't have any of the concerns of other states because paused downloads are always kept in the serialized session downloads data, in addition to history data.
Flags: needinfo?(paolo.mozmail)
(In reply to Sean Lee [:seanlee][:weilonge] from comment #20)
> Hey Bryant,
> 
> Per our offline discussion, there are some items in the spec [1] should be
> clarified:
> A. When there are some paused files in summary section, how the summary
> details present information. e.g. progress in bytes.
> B. Consider PAUSED state for summary description.
> C. Probably need to refine/consider the string combination.
> 
> Could you help to clarify the above items? Thank you.
> 
> [1] https://mozilla.invisionapp.com/share/4Y6ZZH1E8#/screens/162255324

Hi Sean,

Please find p.14 in the latest spec on Bug1269956 for more details, please let us know if any questions,thanks.
(Assignee)

Comment 28

6 months ago
Hi Morpheus,

Thanks for updating the spec!!

(In reply to :Paolo Amadini from comment #24)
> Comment on attachment 8782840 [details]
> Bug 1269958 - Change the information details of the summary section in
> Downloads Panel.
> 
> So, if you show something like "+ 1 downloading, 2 completed" in the
> overflow panel, when it's clicked the user may find that there is indeed one
> download running, but five completed. How to explain this inconsistency?

The issue mentioned in comment 24 will still happen in the latest design. Even the cases of Malware, Uncommon, and Unwanted are merged into "failed", the inconsistency still happens. Could you take a look?
Flags: needinfo?(mochen)
After discussion with engineers, please allow me to elaborate the UX spec. 
The redesigned summary focuses on providing users the summary of "current states", that is, Firefox detects how many downloadings whenever users trigger the download panel. Then, keep displaying following changed states if users trigger/collapse the download panel until all downloadings are completed. In this design users won't feel confused when opening download library since they always understand what these "completed downloads" are. 

We understand the concerns of inconsistency between summary and download library. Now Jack and Bryant are working hard to redesign the download library into activity stream, and they've take the inconsistency into their consideration and have a good solution. However, their redesign of download library can't catch up our implementation of download panel. Therefore, we suggest setting up objectives by phases to alleviate the concerns but keep this project moving forward. In first step, summary only displays downloading state. For next phase, we can ship our entire design with redesigned download library together. What do you think?
Flags: needinfo?(wehuang)
Flags: needinfo?(mochen)
Flags: needinfo?(bmao)
Needinfo Paolo for comment 29.
Flags: needinfo?(paolo.mozmail)

Comment 31

6 months ago
(In reply to Morpheus Chen [:morpheus]  UX from comment #29)
> In first step, summary only displays
> downloading state. For next phase, we can ship our entire design with
> redesigned download library together. What do you think?

Sounds good! If I understand correctly, the remaining scope of this bug is about changing the wording of the existing summary line for in-progress downloads to something like "5 other files downloading".

What should we do about the paused downloads case that Sean mentioned in comment 25?
1. Continue to include them in the count of other downloads like we do today
2. Say "3 other files downloading, 2 paused" (difficult because of plurals and combinations)
3. Just ignore them, which implies not displaying the summary when there are only paused downloads

In fact, although paused downloads are kept forever until removed or restarted by the user, they would re-appear in the Downloads Panel after the browser is restarted, so I'm not concerned about the fact that the user forgets about paused downloads in the Library window.
Flags: needinfo?(paolo.mozmail) → needinfo?(mochen)
Please find my comments inline, thanks.

(In reply to :Paolo Amadini from comment #31)
> Sounds good! If I understand correctly, the remaining scope of this bug is
> about changing the wording of the existing summary line for in-progress
> downloads to something like "5 other files downloading".
 
Yes, the wording will just show how many downloadings remain for first step. As the copywriter defines in the spec, it will be "5 files downloading". 

> What should we do about the paused downloads case that Sean mentioned in
> comment 25?
> 1. Continue to include them in the count of other downloads like we do today
> 2. Say "3 other files downloading, 2 paused" (difficult because of plurals
> and combinations)
> 3. Just ignore them, which implies not displaying the summary when there are
> only paused downloads
> 
> In fact, although paused downloads are kept forever until removed or
> restarted by the user, they would re-appear in the Downloads Panel after the
> browser is restarted, so I'm not concerned about the fact that the user
> forgets about paused downloads in the Library window.

Sorry we didn't elaborate enough in the spec. For paused downloads, we didn't include them in the summary in the first place. Our intention is to focus on the current state and the following possible changes, so it will be much informative to provide states which users can't control, like downloading, complete, fail, and malwares, etc. Since paused state is activated by users, it would be less helpful than other states. In a word, the solution is your third proposal.
Flags: needinfo?(mochen)
(Assignee)

Comment 33

6 months ago
Created attachment 8796032 [details]
"Pause" case in Summary

"pause" case that Bryant and I discussed was for downloadsSummaryDetails which is in the red box.

(In reply to Sean Lee [:seanlee][:weilonge] from comment #25)
> - When there are some paused files in summary section, the summary details
> should present information. e.g. progress in bytes.
>     - The exact spec is not came out yet, and this could be implemented in a
> separate bug.

Comment 34

6 months ago
(In reply to Sean Lee [:seanlee][:weilonge] from comment #33)
> "pause" case that Bryant and I discussed was for downloadsSummaryDetails
> which is in the red box.

Good, so the case in the screenshot won't happen anymore because we just exclude paused downloads and don't show the summary in that case.

This is a simple code and string change so we can move forward with the implementation. Thanks Morpheus and Bryant for the feedback!
Flags: needinfo?(wehuang)
Summary: Change the summary section for Multiple Files information in Downloads Panel → Exclude paused downloads from the Downloads Summary and update the related string
Comment hidden (mozreview-request)
Comment hidden (mozreview-request)
Comment hidden (mozreview-request)
(Assignee)

Comment 38

4 months ago
Hi Paolo,

The patch is with the following changes based on the spec [1]:
1. Redesign the format of the description in Summary Section.
2. Add attention icon in Summary Section for Malware, Unwanted, and Uncommon cases.
3. Hide the summary when all files in Summary are paused.

Please help to review it. Thanks.

[1] https://mozilla.invisionapp.com/share/4Y6ZZH1E8#/screens/162255324

Comment 39

4 months ago
Comment on attachment 8782840 [details]
Bug 1269958 - Change the information details of the summary section in Downloads Panel.

Please remove the badging for malware in the footer. As I've already said in comment 23, it applies to such a small number of cases that we shouldn't add code for it. Each line of code we add is something we have to take care of and maintain long-term, and in this case it's not worth the reward.

If we really, really wanted that code to complete the user experience design, we would need a regression tests written for it, so this would be a r- regardless.

Anyways, I don't think adding that code and test is a valuable use of our time.
Attachment #8782840 - Flags: review?(paolo.mozmail) → review-
Comment hidden (mozreview-request)
Comment hidden (mozreview-request)
Comment hidden (mozreview-request)
(Assignee)

Comment 43

4 months ago
mozreview-review
Comment on attachment 8782840 [details]
Bug 1269958 - Change the information details of the summary section in Downloads Panel.

https://reviewboard.mozilla.org/r/72872/#review98216

::: browser/themes/shared/downloads/downloads.inc.css:153
(Diff revision 9)
>    width: 16px;
>    height: 16px;
>  }
>  
>  #downloadsSummary {
> -  padding: 0 12px;
> +  padding: 0 8px;

Move this changes to another bug to fix the alignment issue of icon.
Comment hidden (mozreview-request)

Comment 45

3 months ago
mozreview-review
Comment on attachment 8782840 [details]
Bug 1269958 - Change the information details of the summary section in Downloads Panel.

https://reviewboard.mozilla.org/r/72872/#review98598

Looks good. Thanks!
Attachment #8782840 - Flags: review?(paolo.mozmail) → review+
(Assignee)

Updated

3 months ago
Keywords: checkin-needed
(Assignee)

Updated

3 months ago
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED

Comment 46

3 months ago
Pushed by cbook@mozilla.com:
https://hg.mozilla.org/integration/autoland/rev/36614ec50c15
Change the information details of the summary section in Downloads Panel. r=Paolo
Keywords: checkin-needed

Comment 47

3 months ago
bugherder
https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/36614ec50c15
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 3 months ago
status-firefox53: --- → fixed
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Target Milestone: --- → Firefox 53

Comment 48

3 months ago
This bug changes following UX items:
- Copy change to “X files downloading”
- No summary when all are paused files
I reproduced this issue using 49.0a1, build ID: 20160503030421, on Windows 10 x64.
I can confirm this issue is fixed, I verified using Fx53.0a1, build ID: 20170112030301, on Windows 10 x64 Mac OS X 10.12.3 and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

Cheers!
status-firefox53: fixed → verified
Depends on: 1342770
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.