This is a meta-bug to associate bugs related to our 2019 efforts to improve test task efficiency in continuous integration. There is an initial project outline at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1G-gGnIVQ43V8LG9041kMv7t-Rq4UnEDd3k-gdIyhhi4.
This project seeks to reduce inefficiencies in test tasks in continuous integration. These inefficiencies waste compute resources, directly increasing aws and other hosting costs. Indirectly, extra tasks and tests increase CI complexity, turnaround time, and sheriffing overhead.
- Reduce redundant or low-value tasks
- Unnecessary platform variants
- Redundant tasks
- Reduce redundant or low-value tests
- Tests that always fail
- Tests for obsolete features
- Duplicate tests
- Reduce task overhead
- Can some tasks be combined?
- Improve setup/teardown efficiency
- Reduce task timeouts
- Ensure appropriate task max-run-time settings
- Fail faster
- Investigate, resolve on-going hangs