Profile switching fails after having used LDAP/SSL

RESOLVED INVALID

Status

RESOLVED INVALID
16 years ago
2 years ago

People

(Reporter: kaie, Unassigned)

Tracking

Other Branch

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Whiteboard: [kerh-coz])

Attachments

(1 attachment)

(Reporter)

Description

16 years ago
Prepare a trunk build by:
- Using the patch from 97622 to enable profile switching.
- enabling NSS_Shutdown as requested in bug 187501

Start Mozilla.
Configure your profile to do addressing using LDAP/SSL.
Try to switch profile.

Actual behaviour:
Profile switching fails with a failure error message, because unclosed secure
connections are detected.

Expected behaviour:
Switching the profile should work.


Problem:
Although Darin works on a solution for bug 181230, he believes his solution
won't help for this bug. Although I thought bug 181230 would fix all the socket
problems in Mozilla, he told me that's not true - Darin suspects that LDAP/SSL
does not go through the socket transport layer, and will therefore not be
affected by fixes to bug 181230.

We need either a fix for the LDAP/SSL code to clean up the connection before a
profile switch (see bug 97622), or, as an alternate solution, we could use the
generic hammer approach suggested in bug 177260 (see discussions in that bug).
(Reporter)

Comment 1

16 years ago
I had a chat with dmose, who gave me some hints.

A simple solution to the problem could be: Make the LDAP connection object
listen to the "profile change net teardown" event, make it close its socket, and
fail gracefully if the objects gets accessed afterwards.

(Reporter)

Updated

16 years ago
Blocks: 188558

Updated

14 years ago
Component: Security: UI → Security: UI
Product: PSM → Core
(Reporter)

Updated

13 years ago
Whiteboard: [kerh-coz]

Comment 2

13 years ago
Thunderbird 1.5.

This alert happens when shutting down the program after using a secure LDAP session. A little disconcerting to the user.

I don't know enough about the security code to give a deep enough insight, but I'm wondering if this is something that there is a desire to fix. I'd certainly help out with a patch if someone would be willing to collaborate/point me in the right direction.

Comment 3

12 years ago
Also experiencing this problem.

Thunderbird 1.5.0.7 and
Thunderbird 3 alpha 1 ( 20060925 )

Error message alert when shutting down after connection to secure ldap server.

Error message is:  The operation can not be completed because of an internal failure.  A secure network communication has not been cleaned up correctly.
I'm also seeing this prompt on shutdown (and restart) of tbird version 2 beta 1 (20061005) mac os x now that I'm trying to use LDAP over SSL to talk to ldap.mozilla.org.

trying, but not succeeding yet, see bug #355409
(In reply to comment #5)
> I'm also seeing this prompt on shutdown (and restart) of tbird version 2 beta 1
> (20061005) mac os x now that I'm trying to use LDAP over SSL to talk to
> ldap.mozilla.org.
> trying, but not succeeding yet, see bug #355409

David tried fixing this dialog problem in bug 206018. Not sure if it ever was fixed properly on branch.

(In reply to comment #0)
> Prepare a trunk build by:
> - Using the patch from 97622 to enable profile switching.
> - enabling NSS_Shutdown as requested in bug 187501
> Start Mozilla.
> Configure your profile to do addressing using LDAP/SSL.
> Try to switch profile.
> Actual behaviour:
> Profile switching fails with a failure error message, because unclosed secure
> connections are detected.
> Expected behaviour:
> Switching the profile should work.

Would calling the new ldapssl_shutdown in the c-sdk (implemented by bug 352673) help this problem? We'd have to update it on trunk at least.
QA Contact: junruh → ui
(Reporter)

Comment 7

6 years ago
reassign bug owner.
mass-update-kaie-20120918
Assignee: kaie → nobody
Profile switching isn't supported in PSM any longer.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 2 years ago
Resolution: --- → INVALID
(Assignee)

Updated

2 years ago
Product: Core → Core Graveyard
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.