The default bug view has changed. See this FAQ.

Firefox doesn't detect missing wmp plugin, prompts to install Player, not plugin

RESOLVED WONTFIX

Status

()

Core
Plug-ins
RESOLVED WONTFIX
11 years ago
4 years ago

People

(Reporter: Kensie, Unassigned)

Tracking

Trunk
x86
Windows XP
Points:
---

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

11 years ago
It seems like Windows Media Player no longer comes with the npdsplay.dll plugin and firefox doesn't find and install it.

Also, I seem to recall some cases where people had a plugin installed but still had issues (on myspace for instance) where this plugin http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/version64/plugin.aspx made things work.  I was hoping to get more info about this case before filing, but I haven't had much luck and a lot of people are having problems.  I'm not sure if this is the most recent plugin, or if it's an old one or what.

In any case, there's a lot of windows media content out there and we're seeing quite a number of people in #firefox with this issue now.  I'll comment back with more info if I can get it and some links.

Comment 1

11 years ago
Do you know if those people happen to run a special version of Windows XP, like the Media Center edition? kb.mozillazine.org mentions that this version does not include the WMP plugin and/or has a problem with it.
(Reporter)

Comment 2

11 years ago
No, I've had this happen to me myself and both my pc's are home edition.  In any case, even if those versions don't come with the plugin, that doesn't solve the problem that firefox isn't detecting that it's the wmp plugin needed.
(Reporter)

Comment 3

11 years ago
added url

Just helped someone with media center edition.  What happened to him is he was being directed to download windows media player, but he already had that installed, he needed the plugin.  I'll delete my version of the plugin and report back on what happens on xp home.
*** Bug 363632 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

Comment 5

10 years ago
Same problem here, I am running XP Media Center Edition, videos like the URL don't play (neither does CNN.com videos which is the most annoying).  My research shows it's only an issue with MCE.  However, I don't think the proper resolution is to say it's a bug with MCE.  Firefox should be able to work on MCE, a lot of people view things like CNN.com videos and don't have the expertise to figure out manual workarounds.  This can be a big turnoff to someone trying out Firefox.

Updated

10 years ago
Duplicate of this bug: 365190

Comment 7

10 years ago
I am having the same issue. Sadly I am not an expert on Windows Media Player. I really like my music and I view videos on cnn and yahoo. When I do try to view them I get an error that says install missing plug ins. When I click install, there aren't any there to install. I have no clue what to do next! If anyone can help me please reply!
(Reporter)

Comment 8

10 years ago
Lisa,

If you read the description there is a link to the plugin you need to get things to work.

Comment 9

10 years ago
Lisa,
 
If you need more help, see:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Windows_Media_Player#Missing_plugin

Comment 10

10 years ago
I'm new to Firefox so please forgive me if I'm repeating something...

I'm writing a web page with an embed tag for a ".avi" file and cannot get it to work in Firefox.  I've tried:
<embed height="240" width="320" src="filename.avi" type="application/avi" />
and
<embed height="240" width="320" src="filename.avi" type="video/avi" autostart="true" controls="false" loop="false" />
but neither works in Firefox.  They both work in IE6 and the Netscape plug-in finder works fine and shows the video.
I use WXP-Pro and Media Player Classic instead of WMP.

Am I coding this correctly or is this the same problem being reported here?

Thanks,

Patrick.

Comment 11

10 years ago
(In reply to comment #10)
> I'm new to Firefox so please forgive me if I'm repeating something...
> I'm writing a web page with an embed tag for a ".avi" file and cannot get it to
> work in Firefox.  I've tried:
> <embed height="240" width="320" src="filename.avi" type="application/avi" />
> and
> <embed height="240" width="320" src="filename.avi" type="video/avi"
> autostart="true" controls="false" loop="false" />
> but neither works in Firefox.  They both work in IE6 and the Netscape plug-in
> finder works fine and shows the video.
> I use WXP-Pro and Media Player Classic instead of WMP.
> Am I coding this correctly or is this the same problem being reported here?
> Thanks,
> Patrick.

Comment 12

10 years ago
Sorry, I hit the wrong thing and sent the previous email before I could comment. I am sorry I can't assist you on the web page writing, the only one I have done was via Earthlink and it was just a matter of clicking and selecting. The problem I was having was trying to get plugins to install for Windows Media Player 10. Good luck, hope someone can help you. 
(In reply to comment #10)
> I'm new to Firefox so please forgive me if I'm repeating something...
> I'm writing a web page with an embed tag for a ".avi" file and cannot get it to
> work in Firefox.  I've tried:
> <embed height="240" width="320" src="filename.avi" type="application/avi" />
> and
> <embed height="240" width="320" src="filename.avi" type="video/avi"
> autostart="true" controls="false" loop="false" />
> but neither works in Firefox.  They both work in IE6 and the Netscape plug-in
> finder works fine and shows the video.
> I use WXP-Pro and Media Player Classic instead of WMP.
> Am I coding this correctly or is this the same problem being reported here?
> Thanks,
> Patrick.

Comment 13

10 years ago
I am running vista home premium.  When I try to view videos fron CNN the screen comes up with no vmp installed.  (I have VMP 11 installed.)  I tried going to Micro and download it again but when I try to install it it says it is alredy installed which I knew it was but it still get the same VMP not installed after I tried that.
(In reply to comment #13)
> I am running vista home premium.  When I try to view videos fron CNN the screen
> comes up with no vmp installed.

See #bug 342323.

Comment 15

10 years ago
Since I have downloaded a newer version of FireFox ( Firefox/2.0.0.3 ) I haven't had the problem with the message appearing and the media player has played everything I have tried. Thanks to all those who replied to my original post.
(Reporter)

Comment 16

10 years ago
Firefox still prompts the user to install the entire wmp program, which still doesn't include the plugin. Editing the summary to reflect.
Summary: Firefox doesn't detect and install missing wmp plugin → Firefox doesn't detect missing wmp plugin, prompts to install Player, not plugin
majken, the url you added points to a page with a flash video. Did the page change? If so, can another example url be added and if not the url should be removed unless I'm missing something here.
(Reporter)

Comment 18

10 years ago
It must have changed.  I just helped a user that said they were prompted for the whole program on http://www.tv5.fr/TV5Site/programmes/accueil_continent.php
(Reporter)

Comment 19

10 years ago
I've just tested this myself, and the manual install button does link me to the new page now.

Comment 20

10 years ago
While not a solution within FF, MS has come up with a workaround in a new plugin.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/2j3bds

Comment 21

10 years ago
(In reply to comment #20)
> While not a solution within FF, MS has come up with a workaround in a new
> plugin.
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/2j3bds
> 

This only works with WMP 11, which means you need to upgrade and accept all their additional DRM restrictions.  Just wanted to comment so that people realize there's still an issue for everyone else who doesn't use WMP 11.

Comment 22

10 years ago
(In reply to comment #21)
> This only works with WMP 11, which means you need to upgrade and accept all
> their additional DRM restrictions. 
The new plugin also works with WMP10 and WMP9 on Windows XP SP2, according to the feedback here:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Talk:Windows_Media_Player#New_WMP_plugin_for_firefox 
and here:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=2846556#2846556




Updated

10 years ago
Blocks: 342323
No longer blocks: 342323

Comment 23

10 years ago
(In reply to comment #0)
> It seems like Windows Media Player no longer comes with the npdsplay.dll plugin
> and firefox doesn't find and install it.
> 
> Also, I seem to recall some cases where people had a plugin installed but still
> had issues (on myspace for instance) where this plugin
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/version64/plugin.aspx made
> things work.  I was hoping to get more info about this case before filing, but
> I haven't had much luck and a lot of people are having problems.  I'm not sure
> if this is the most recent plugin, or if it's an old one or what.
> 
> In any case, there's a lot of windows media content out there and we're seeing
> quite a number of people in #firefox with this issue now.  I'll comment back
> with more info if I can get it and some links.
> 

I have installed the new plugin an will let you know if this is actually working.
Thanks for all the help. I really hope this works, I really prefer firefox. (In reply to comment #9)
> Lisa,
> 
> If you need more help, see:
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Windows_Media_Player#Missing_plugin
> 

Thank you! I have followed your link and I am hoping this solves my problem. Firefox is the best and I want to keep using it. I will comment back if it doesn't work. Thanks again!
We are removing PFS, and will not prompt users to install this plugin in the future.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 4 years ago
Resolution: --- → WONTFIX
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.