Closed Bug 459607 Opened 16 years ago Closed 16 years ago

P3P privacy settings are described in Help.

Categories

(SeaMonkey :: Help Documentation, defect)

defect
Not set
normal

Tracking

(Not tracked)

RESOLVED FIXED
seamonkey2.0a2

People

(Reporter: seamonkey, Assigned: stefanh)

References

()

Details

Attachments

(1 file)

User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1b2pre) Gecko/20081011 SeaMonkey/2.0a2pre reconfigured by user.js v1.1
Build Identifier:  

As per bug 225287 the Platform for Privacy Preferences - P3P - is no longer used, but is still refered to at several locations in help pages. Below is a search result list of occurrences.

Search string: P3P

forieusers.xhtml:105:     support for the <a href="using_priv_help.xhtml#privacy_settings">P3P

glossary.xhtml:426: <dt id="p3p">P3P (Platform for Privacy Preferences)</dt><dd>A standard

glossary.xhtml:430:   document <a href="http://www.w3.org/P3P/">P3P Public Overview</a>.</dd>

help-glossary.rdf:74:         <rdf:li> <rdf:Description nc:name="P3P" nc:link="glossary.xhtml#p3p"/> </rdf:li>

help-index1.rdf:1651:          nc:name="P3P levels"

help-index1.rdf:1656:          nc:name="P3P standard"

page_info_help.xhtml:37:   <a href="glossary.xhtml#p3p">Platform for

page_info_help.xhtml:38:   Privacy Preferences (P3P)</a> policies of the website whose page you are

privacy_help.xhtml:25:   Privacy Preferences (P3P) standard. For information on how to customize your

using_priv_help.xhtml:178:   Platform for Privacy Preferences (P3P) standard. The information that follows

using_priv_help.xhtml:179:   applies only to sites that post a privacy policy based on the P3P standard

using_priv_help.xhtml:184: <p>A site&apos;s P3P privacy policy describes, in a standardized way, what

using_priv_help.xhtml:190: <p>&brandShortName;&apos;s implementation of the P3P standard defines three

using_priv_help.xhtml:194:   level, your browser can compare your preferences with the site&apos;s P3P

using_priv_help.xhtml:227:   privacy settings in detail. Depending on the P3P policy of the site setting

using_priv_help.xhtml:527:   according to privacy policies based on the P3P standard that published by

using_priv_help.xhtml:1094:   Preferences (P3P) standard and the browser&apos;s implementation of that


Reproducible: Always
Blocks: 423281
Status: UNCONFIRMED → NEW
Ever confirmed: true
This is not going to be fun... patch coming soon...
This became larger than I initially thought... I think I got everything... One comment:

   <li><strong><a href="using_priv_help.xhtml">Cookie Manager</a></strong>: Lets
-    you change what &brandShortName; will do when accepting cookies through its
-    support for the <a href="using_priv_help.xhtml#privacy_settings">P3P
-    privacy standard</a>.</li>
+    you control how &brandShortName;&apos;s will handle cookies.</li>

This is probably a bit lame, any input is welcome.
Assignee: nobody → stefanh
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED
Attachment #342919 - Flags: review?(iann_bugzilla)
And I guess form manager should go - but I figured we could do that in another bug.
Version: unspecified → Trunk
(In reply to comment #2)
> Created an attachment (id=342919) [details]
> Nuke p3p and everything connected
> 
> This became larger than I initially thought... I think I got everything... One
> comment:
> 
>    <li><strong><a href="using_priv_help.xhtml">Cookie Manager</a></strong>:
> Lets
> -    you change what &brandShortName; will do when accepting cookies through
> its
> -    support for the <a href="using_priv_help.xhtml#privacy_settings">P3P
> -    privacy standard</a>.</li>
> +    you control how &brandShortName;&apos;s will handle cookies.</li>
> 
> This is probably a bit lame, any input is welcome.

I would use the description at the top of each tabbed window in Cookie Manager as a basis for this line i.e. "View and remove cookies that are stored on your computer" and "Manage sites that can and cannot store cookies on your computer".
(In reply to comment #3)
> And I guess form manager should go - but I figured we could do that in another
> bug.
I would say in another bug too, as we might end up with an equivalent to form manager that will need help.
Comment on attachment 342919 [details] [diff] [review]
Nuke p3p and everything connected

> <h3>How Do Sites Use Cookie Information?</h3>
> 
> <p>Cookies allow a site to know something about your previous visits. For
>   example, if you typically search for local weather or purchase books at a web
>   site, the site may use cookies to remember what city you live in or what
>   authors you like, so it can make your next visit easier and more useful.</p>
> 
> <p>Many web sites publish privacy policies that describe how they use the
>   information they receive.</p>
Not sure how true the above is any more...

r=me with comments addressed.
Attachment #342919 - Flags: review?(iann_bugzilla) → review+
(In reply to comment #6)
> (From update of attachment 342919 [details] [diff] [review])
> > <h3>How Do Sites Use Cookie Information?</h3>
> > 
> > <p>Cookies allow a site to know something about your previous visits. For
> >   example, if you typically search for local weather or purchase books at a web
> >   site, the site may use cookies to remember what city you live in or what
> >   authors you like, so it can make your next visit easier and more useful.</p>
> > 
> > <p>Many web sites publish privacy policies that describe how they use the
> >   information they receive.</p>
> Not sure how true the above is any more...

Are you refering to the privacy policies? I think that's still true, see for example http://edition.cnn.com/privacy.html (it's not what we ment originally, but I think it works fine).
(In reply to comment #7)
> (In reply to comment #6)
> > (From update of attachment 342919 [details] [diff] [review] [details])
> > > <h3>How Do Sites Use Cookie Information?</h3>
> > > 
> > > <p>Cookies allow a site to know something about your previous visits. For
> > >   example, if you typically search for local weather or purchase books at a web
> > >   site, the site may use cookies to remember what city you live in or what
> > >   authors you like, so it can make your next visit easier and more useful.</p>
> > > 
> > > <p>Many web sites publish privacy policies that describe how they use the
> > >   information they receive.</p>
> > Not sure how true the above is any more...
> 
> Are you refering to the privacy policies? I think that's still true, see for
> example http://edition.cnn.com/privacy.html (it's not what we ment originally,
> but I think it works fine).

Many->Some (Do we have a rough idea how many do? Many suggests 50%+ whereas Some suggests less than 50% but not definitely)
policies->guidelines (not bothered too much either way on that change)
receive->gather (sounds better to me)
> > 
> >    <li><strong><a href="using_priv_help.xhtml">Cookie Manager</a></strong>:
> > Lets
> > -    you change what &brandShortName; will do when accepting cookies through
> > its
> > -    support for the <a href="using_priv_help.xhtml#privacy_settings">P3P
> > -    privacy standard</a>.</li>
> > +    you control how &brandShortName;&apos;s will handle cookies.</li>
> > 
> > This is probably a bit lame, any input is welcome.
> 
> I would use the description at the top of each tabbed window in Cookie Manager
> as a basis for this line i.e. "View and remove cookies that are stored on your
> computer" and "Manage sites that can and cannot store cookies on your
> computer".

How does "View detailed information about each cookie and remove cookies you don't want to be stored on your computer. Control which web sites are allowed to store cookies on your computer." sound?
> "View detailed information about each cookie and remove cookies you
> don't want to be stored on your computer. Control which web sites are allowed
> to store cookies on your computer."

I think I'll go for this unless someone objects.
Note to self: check whether it's "web site" or "website" (since it says "website" further down).
(In reply to comment #11)
> Note to self: check whether it's "web site" or "website" (since it says
> "website" further down).

Heh, mxr gives me this for suite/locales/:

website --> 204 matching lines in 28 files

web site --> 42 matching lines in 14 files
(In reply to comment #10)
> > "View detailed information about each cookie and remove cookies you
> > don't want to be stored on your computer. Control which web sites are allowed
> > to store cookies on your computer."
> 
> I think I'll go for this unless someone objects.

Lets you view detailed information about each cookie and remove cookies you
don't want to be stored on your computer and control which websites are allowed
to store cookies on your computer.

or 
Lets you:
* View detailed information about each cookie and remove cookies you
don't want to be stored on your computer.
* Control which websites are allowed to store cookies on your computer.
(In reply to comment #13)
> (In reply to comment #10)
> > > "View detailed information about each cookie and remove cookies you
> > > don't want to be stored on your computer. Control which web sites are allowed
> > > to store cookies on your computer."
> > 
> > I think I'll go for this unless someone objects.
> Lets you view detailed information about each cookie and remove cookies you
> don't want to be stored on your computer and control which websites are allowed
> to store cookies on your computer.
> or 
> Lets you:
> * View detailed information about each cookie and remove cookies you
> don't want to be stored on your computer.
> * Control which websites are allowed to store cookies on your computer.

I'm not sure I like the "Lets you" part, Help is already full with it.
(In reply to comment #12)
> Heh, mxr gives me this for suite/locales/:
> 
> website --> 204 matching lines in 28 files
> 
> web site --> 42 matching lines in 14 files

That is bug 423282 Stefan ;-)
(In reply to comment #15)
> (In reply to comment #12)
> > Heh, mxr gives me this for suite/locales/:
> > 
> > website --> 204 matching lines in 28 files
> > 
> > web site --> 42 matching lines in 14 files
> 
> That is bug 423282 Stefan ;-)

Oh, right - forgot about that one. Well, I guess I'll use "website" instead of "web site" ;)
IanN,

How about:

"Lets you view detailed information about each cookie and remove cookies you don't want to be stored on your computer. You can also control which websites are allowed to store cookies on your computer."

OK?
(In reply to comment #17)
> IanN,
> 
> How about:
> 
> "Lets you view detailed information about each cookie and remove cookies you
> don't want to be stored on your computer. You can also control which websites
> are allowed to store cookies on your computer."
> 
> OK?
Yes
Pushed attachment #342919 [details] [diff] [review] as 682:128427913295, with the following changes:

Fixed IanN's comments in comment #8 - I kept "policies", though. I also changed "web site" to "website" in that paragraph. Used the text in comment #17, with &apos; instead of "'".
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Closed: 16 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Target Milestone: --- → seamonkey2.0a2
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.