Enable "Ctrl+Tab cycles through tabs in recently used order" feature by default

REOPENED
Unassigned

Status

()

Firefox
Tabbed Browser
--
enhancement
REOPENED
8 years ago
a year ago

People

(Reporter: John Wayne Hill (UX Intern), Unassigned)

Tracking

(Blocks: 1 bug)

Trunk
Points:
---
Dependency tree / graph

Firefox Tracking Flags

(blocking2.0 -)

Details

Attachments

(1 attachment)

(Reporter)

Description

8 years ago
(Note: this is filed as part of the “Paper Cut” bugs — we assume that there may be multiple existing bugs on this. Please make them block this bug, and we will de-dupe if they are indeed exactly the same. Thanks!)

To reproduce:
1. Open up multiple tabs
2. Click on one tab
3. Click on another tab not directly next to your current tab
4. using CTRL+Tab should move you back to the tab that previously had focus

Recommendation:
Using keyboard shortcuts to move between tabs should go to the last tab which had focus
(Reporter)

Updated

8 years ago
Depends on: 565570

Updated

8 years ago
Component: General → Tabbed Browser
QA Contact: general → tabbed.browser
What happens when you use CTRL-SHIFT-Tab? Currently, it goes the opposite direction down the list of tabs from CTRL-Tab.
Wes: Shift-Ctrl-Tab does the same as Shift-Alt-Tab or Shift-Cmd-Tab does in Windows/Mac — walk the stack in the other direction.
(In reply to comment #2)
> Wes: Shift-Ctrl-Tab does the same as Shift-Alt-Tab or Shift-Cmd-Tab does in
> Windows/Mac — walk the stack in the other direction.

That's not true. At least not when you have enabled Ctrl+Tab and All-Tab previews. See bug 505751. Is that bug a dupe?

Comment 4

8 years ago
Not sure if this is the right place to protest this...BUT:

The desired outcome of this (switching rapidly between several tabs) can be easily achieved by reordering the tabs, which is extremely easy.

However, adding the stack to ctrl+tab makes all other use cases next-to-impossible: it gets very confusing on how to get to the desired tab when looking at the tabs on the bar. The only reason alt+tab works on windows is because it displays the list.

Use case: I have my hands on the keyboard and want to switch to a tab 5 tabs away. Currently I would inspect the tab bar, see that it is 5 away, then hit alt, and spam tab 5 times really fast. If stack behavior is implemented I now have to inspect which tab I am on every time I hit tab, which makes switching to the mouse much more attractive.

Also, if the user had more tabs than can fit on the screen, the experience would be very jarring as the current tab set would flip back and forth between completely different sections (worst case, obviously wouldn't happen every time).


AT THE VERY LEAST include an option to have the old behavior in the options menu (don't hide in about:config).

Updated

8 years ago
Depends on: 515095

Updated

8 years ago
No longer depends on: 565570

Updated

7 years ago
blocking2.0: --- → ?
An enhancement to a feature that's not enabled by default - does not block the release.
blocking2.0: ? → -
(In reply to comment #5)
> An enhancement to a feature that's not enabled by default - does not block the
> release.

You're misinterpreting this bug. Ctrl-tab is a keyboard shortcut, not the name of a feature.

As it happens, this enhancement request could be fixed by enabling a feature dubbed "Ctrl-Tab" by setting browser.ctrlTab.previews to true.
Severity: normal → enhancement
Created attachment 468288 [details] [diff] [review]
patch

This has been disabled ever since bug 465076 landed, which is kind of sad, because the specification implemented there was a good one.
Attachment #468288 - Flags: ui-review?(beltzner)
(In reply to comment #4)
> Not sure if this is the right place to protest this...BUT:
> 
> The desired outcome of this (switching rapidly between several tabs) can be
> easily achieved by reordering the tabs, which is extremely easy.
> 
> However, adding the stack to ctrl+tab makes all other use cases
> next-to-impossible: it gets very confusing on how to get to the desired tab
> when looking at the tabs on the bar.

We already experinced that MRU odering is really confusing with the dead-ctrl-tab feature : I totally agree with this comment !

If you really want it, can't the use of stacks be made using an other keyboard shortcut ?

At least the use of stacks under the Ctrl+tab shortcut can't come alone to be predictable and memorizable.
Comment on attachment 468288 [details] [diff] [review]
patch

Not sure if this is still relevant, am sure I'm not the right reviewer :)
Attachment #468288 - Flags: ui-review?(mbeltzner)

Updated

3 years ago
Depends on: 1116787
No longer depends on: 515095
Duplicate of this bug: 515095
Summary: Fix Ctrl-tab to use stacks, so it can be used to switch between tabs → Enable "Ctrl+Tab cycles through tabs in recently used order" feature by default
This is about UX change, and looks like there is no new UX input anymore. Set WONTFIX first, and feel free to re-open it again if anyone have new ideas.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: a year ago
Resolution: --- → WONTFIX

Updated

a year ago
Status: RESOLVED → REOPENED
Resolution: WONTFIX → ---
Let's continue to discuss the UI change.

Comment 13

a year ago
It seems that Ctrl+Shift+Tab does not work when the "Ctrl+Tab cycles through tabs in recently used order" option is enabled. 

I use Firefox Nightly 52.0a1 on Debian GNU/Linux. 

I am able to switch between tabs in recent used order when I press Ctrl+Tab but Ctrl+Shift+Tab doesn't seem to work directly when the option is enabled. 

I am able to use Ctrl+Shift+Tab without leaving the tab view that I get using Ctrl+Tab.

Updated

a year ago
Duplicate of this bug: 1130958

Comment 15

a year ago
It is useful to add an option to go back, and adding shift as a modifier for that is the common thing to do. I'm also a heavy user of both interfaces, and I never saw this as a problem.

In the ctrl-tab UI, there's a button "List All n Tabs". This will invoke the interface you're looking for. You can either click it with your mouse, or just navigate to it with Ctrl-(Shift)-Tab.

Comment 16

a year ago
Sorry, I didn't get that. Where's that Ctrl-Tab UI actually?

Comment 17

a year ago
BTW I suddenly had a doubt. Is this the right place to discuss about the "Ctrl+Tab cycles through tabs in recently used order" feature ? or Is there a more relevant bug ?
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.