Messages that could not be sent due to an error should not be copied to the Sent folder

RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 780124

Status

Thunderbird
Folder and Message Lists
RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 780124
6 years ago
6 years ago

People

(Reporter: Francisco Leandro, Unassigned)

Tracking

14 Branch
x86
Windows 7

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

6 years ago
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/536.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/20.0.1132.57 Safari/536.11

Steps to reproduce:

I tried to send a message to my contacts.


Actual results:

An error like "Transaction failed : Cannot send message due to possible abuse; please visit http://postmaster.yahoo.com/abuse_smtp.html for more information" has appeared. After, the message has been copied incorrectly to the Sent folder.


Expected results:

The message should have been sent without any errors.
(Reporter)

Updated

6 years ago
Summary: Messages that could not been sent due to an error are copied to the Sent folder → Messages that could not be sent due to an error are copied to the Sent folder
(Reporter)

Updated

6 years ago
Severity: normal → critical
Priority: -- → P1
(In reply to Francisco Leandro from comment #0)
> Actual results:
> (A) An error like "Transaction failed : Cannot send message due to possible abuse; ... (snip)
> (B) After, the message has been copied incorrectly to the Sent folder.
> Expected results:
> The message should have been sent without any errors.

For (A) and your expectation.
Here is bugzilla.mozilla.org to report Tb's bug(flaw in Tb's code).
What is evidence that the error was caused by Tb's fault?
It's Yahoo! SMTP problem or spec, isn't it?
See site like next which can be found by Google search for "ransaction failed cannot send message due to possible abuse".
> https://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_messaging/topics/transaction_failed_cannot_send_message_due_to_possible_abuse
> http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/554-Transaction-Failed-Cannot-send-message-due-to-possible-abuse/td-p/567892
> http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Error-code-when-sending-Cannot-send-message-due-to-possible/td-p/434565

For "*incorrectly* saved" in (B).

After 354 response to DATA command, Tb transfers mail data to SMTP server, and Tb waits for 250 response from server. If other than 250 but non-fatal error reply code(e.g. 451, 554), Tb may save mail data in Sent folder, in order to avoid loss of sent mail data in case like next;
  Tb has passed entire mail data and waits for 250 response.
  SMTP server returns 250 response.
    => for SMTP server, mail is accepted, so mail will be sent to recipient.
  "25" part arrives at Tb, but connection is lost before "0" part arrives at Tb.
See http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/tech/smtpreplies.html#DATA for reply codes.

Can you get SMTP/IMAP log for following?
  - SET NSPR_LOG_MODULES=timestamp,smtp:5,imap:5
    (see bug 402793 comment #28)
  - At Copies&Folders setting of identity,
      Sent folder of the identity(From: address) for of mail
      == a mail folder of IMAP account
         (not standard Sent, Sent Mail, Sent Item etc., user folder like FolderX)
      This is to trace Tb's "save sent mail copy" action)
  - Send mail to a your contact using same Yahoo! SMTP server,
    with BCC: to your other valid mail address.
    The "Transaction failed : Cannot send message due to possible abuse; ..."
    is returned from SMTP server.
What reply code? Is BCC: header exists in saved sent mail in FolderX?
Severity in Importance: field of "bug report" at bugzilla.mozilla.org is defined term for "level of Tb's flaw"(e.g. crash->critical, send always fails in popular environments->major). Please note that "bug report at B.M.O." is not an incident of Customer Help Center.
Changing Severity.
Severity: critical → normal
Priority: P1 → --
(Reporter)

Comment 3

6 years ago
(In reply to WADA from comment #1)
> (In reply to Francisco Leandro from comment #0)
> > Actual results:
> > (A) An error like "Transaction failed : Cannot send message due to possible abuse; ... (snip)
> > (B) After, the message has been copied incorrectly to the Sent folder.
> > Expected results:
> > The message should have been sent without any errors.
> 
> For (A) and your expectation.
> Here is bugzilla.mozilla.org to report Tb's bug(flaw in Tb's code).
> What is evidence that the error was caused by Tb's fault?
> It's Yahoo! SMTP problem or spec, isn't it?
> See site like next which can be found by Google search for "ransaction
> failed cannot send message due to possible abuse".
> > https://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_messaging/topics/transaction_failed_cannot_send_message_due_to_possible_abuse
> > http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/554-Transaction-Failed-Cannot-send-message-due-to-possible-abuse/td-p/567892
> > http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Error-code-when-sending-Cannot-send-message-due-to-possible/td-p/434565
> 
> For "*incorrectly* saved" in (B).
> 
> After 354 response to DATA command, Tb transfers mail data to SMTP server,
> and Tb waits for 250 response from server. If other than 250 but non-fatal
> error reply code(e.g. 451, 554), Tb may save mail data in Sent folder, in
> order to avoid loss of sent mail data in case like next;
>   Tb has passed entire mail data and waits for 250 response.
>   SMTP server returns 250 response.
>     => for SMTP server, mail is accepted, so mail will be sent to recipient.
>   "25" part arrives at Tb, but connection is lost before "0" part arrives at
> Tb.
> See http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/tech/smtpreplies.html#DATA for reply
> codes.
> 
> Can you get SMTP/IMAP log for following?
>   - SET NSPR_LOG_MODULES=timestamp,smtp:5,imap:5
>     (see bug 402793 comment #28)
>   - At Copies&Folders setting of identity,
>       Sent folder of the identity(From: address) for of mail
>       == a mail folder of IMAP account
>          (not standard Sent, Sent Mail, Sent Item etc., user folder like
> FolderX)
>       This is to trace Tb's "save sent mail copy" action)
>   - Send mail to a your contact using same Yahoo! SMTP server,
>     with BCC: to your other valid mail address.
>     The "Transaction failed : Cannot send message due to possible abuse; ..."
>     is returned from SMTP server.
> What reply code? Is BCC: header exists in saved sent mail in FolderX?

It is a Yahoo! SMTP problem. However, messages with error have been copied to Sent folder incorrectly.
(In reply to Francisco Leandro from comment #3)
> It is a Yahoo! SMTP problem. However, messages with error have been copied
> to Sent folder incorrectly.

If so, why "Expected results: The message should have been sent without any error" even though report of flaw in Tb's code? It should be "Expected results: The message should not have been copied to sent", shoudn't it?
Reflecting it to bug summary to avoid confusion.
Summary: Messages that could not be sent due to an error are copied to the Sent folder → Messages that could not be sent due to an error should not be copied to the Sent folder
(Reporter)

Comment 5

6 years ago
Yes, it should.
Depends on: 780124
Problem was reproduced in bug 780124 and reply code was not relevant, so closing as DUP. If different problem, re-open this bug, please.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 6 years ago
No longer depends on: 780124
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE
Duplicate of bug: 780124
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.