Closed Bug 845983 Opened 9 years ago Closed 9 years ago

Redirect /metrofirefox/foo to /firefox/foo on www.mozilla.org

Categories

(www.mozilla.org :: General, defect, P2)

x86_64
Windows 8.1
defect

Tracking

(Not tracked)

VERIFIED FIXED

People

(Reporter: TimAbraldes, Assigned: pmac)

References

Details

(Whiteboard: u=user c=releng p=)

When users click the "Why was this page blocked" button on about:blocked, we send them to a URL specified by the pref "browser.safebrowsing.warning.infoURL", which defaults to "http://www.mozilla.org/%LOCALE%/%APP%/phishing-protection"

On my machine, this points to "http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/phishing-protection" for desktop Firefox and to "http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/metrofirefox/phishing-protection" for Metro/Immersive Firefox.

The latter URL is currently a 404, but we'll need it to be functional when we release Metro/Immersive Firefox.  I believe it is sufficient to have the same content as (or maybe have a redirect to) the desktop Firefox page.  CCing Asa to make calls about the content of this page.

We probably have a similar situation with other URLs.
Cmore: Could you please grab the 404 stats for this page?

Tim: What is the timeline to release metro/immersive Firefox?

Thx,
Jen
I checked and over the past 30 days we have not received this 404 error except for the ones generated today.

Can we put in a 301 redirect from /[locale]/metrofirefox/* to /[locale]/firefox/* ?

I don't expect to have a /metrofirefox/ directory at any point and may be easier to ship all the traffic over to the main /firefox directory. Currently, /firefox is a redirect to /firefox/fx/ or /firefox/new depending on the user agent, but in the next quarter /firefox/ will be the family page for all Firefox products on all platforms.
We can point at the same content. How we do that isn't important to me.
(In reply to Chris More [:cmore] from comment #2)
> I checked and over the past 30 days we have not received this 404 error
> except for the ones generated today.

Part of the reason we haven't seen any of these 404s is bug 840776, which made it so that the page would never be requested.

Also, I imagine it is infrequent for users to reach the about:blocked page, and since we have so few users on Metro/Immersive Firefox it seems unlikely that anyone would have hit the 404 by now.

> Can we put in a 301 redirect from /[locale]/metrofirefox/* to
> /[locale]/firefox/* ?

I think a 301 probably makes sense.


(In reply to jbertsch from comment #1)
> Tim: What is the timeline to release metro/immersive Firefox?

I don't think a definite timeline has been established but metro/immersive Firefox is already on m-c which means Nightly users are currently using it.
Whiteboard: feature=work
(In reply to Tim Abraldes (:tabraldes) from comment #4)
> (In reply to jbertsch from comment #1)
> > Tim: What is the timeline to release metro/immersive Firefox?
> 
> I don't think a definite timeline has been established but metro/immersive
> Firefox is already on m-c which means Nightly users are currently using it.

cmore, it would be great if we could get the redirect in place within the next ten days. Is that feasible?
Whiteboard: feature=work
(In reply to Tim Abraldes (:tabraldes) from comment #4)
> (In reply to Chris More [:cmore] from comment #2)
> > I checked and over the past 30 days we have not received this 404 error
> > except for the ones generated today.
> 
> Part of the reason we haven't seen any of these 404s is bug 840776, which
> made it so that the page would never be requested.
> 
> Also, I imagine it is infrequent for users to reach the about:blocked page,
> and since we have so few users on Metro/Immersive Firefox it seems unlikely
> that anyone would have hit the 404 by now.
> 
> > Can we put in a 301 redirect from /[locale]/metrofirefox/* to
> > /[locale]/firefox/* ?
> 
> I think a 301 probably makes sense.
> 
> 
> (In reply to jbertsch from comment #1)
> > Tim: What is the timeline to release metro/immersive Firefox?
> 
> I don't think a definite timeline has been established but metro/immersive
> Firefox is already on m-c which means Nightly users are currently using it.

I figured that is why we aren't getting many 404's now. :)

We can get this redirect on an upcoming release cycle.

Probably something like this:

RewriteRule ^(.+)/(metrofirefox)(.+)/ $1/firefox$3 [R=permanent]

That should redirect:

/[locale]/metrofirefox* to /[locale]/firefox*

Base case: https://www.mozilla.org/metrofirefox/ should redirect to /firefox/

Also anything after /metrofirefox/ should redirect to /firefox/whatever, as in https://www.mozilla.org/metrofirefox/foo/ should redirect to /firefox/foo/.
Summary: Create phishing page or redirect for "Metro/Immersive Firefox" → Redirect /metrofirefox/foo to /firefox/foo on www.mozilla.org
Just to confirm, can we redirect /metrofirefox/* to /firefox/*? Since /metrofirefox/ doesn't even exist, I don't see a reason to redirect only the phishing web page.
(In reply to Chris More [:cmore] from comment #7)
> Just to confirm, can we redirect /metrofirefox/* to /firefox/*? Since
> /metrofirefox/ doesn't even exist, I don't see a reason to redirect only the
> phishing web page.

That sounds like it should be fine, but I don't really know anything about serving pages on mozilla.org and I'm not sure if you were directing that question at me :)
(In reply to Tim Abraldes (:tabraldes) from comment #8)
> (In reply to Chris More [:cmore] from comment #7)
> > Just to confirm, can we redirect /metrofirefox/* to /firefox/*? Since
> > /metrofirefox/ doesn't even exist, I don't see a reason to redirect only the
> > phishing web page.
> 
> That sounds like it should be fine, but I don't really know anything about
> serving pages on mozilla.org and I'm not sure if you were directing that
> question at me :)

It was to you and Asa if you are fine with making a generic redirect for metrofirefox instead of making it only work for the phishing page.
(In reply to Chris More [:cmore] from comment #9)
> (In reply to Tim Abraldes (:tabraldes) from comment #8)
> > (In reply to Chris More [:cmore] from comment #7)
> > > Just to confirm, can we redirect /metrofirefox/* to /firefox/*? Since
> > > /metrofirefox/ doesn't even exist, I don't see a reason to redirect only the
> > > phishing web page.
> > 
> > That sounds like it should be fine, but I don't really know anything about
> > serving pages on mozilla.org and I'm not sure if you were directing that
> > question at me :)
> 
> It was to you and Asa if you are fine with making a generic redirect for
> metrofirefox instead of making it only work for the phishing page.

I'm not familiar with what all lives at /firefox/* and is likely to be triggered by our Metro browser. That being said, tt probably wouldn't hurt to do the full directory level redirect.
Hi Chris-  Do we have a clear way forward?  Does this go to Pmac next?

Thx,
Jen
Priority: -- → P2
Whiteboard: u=user c=releng p=
(In reply to jbertsch from comment #11)
> Hi Chris-  Do we have a clear way forward?  Does this go to Pmac next?
> 
> Thx,
> Jen

Yes, comment 6 should be fine. Just redirect all of /metrofirefox/ to /firefox/ and any URL after /metrofirefox/ should be carried through to /firefox/.

Pmac could work on it, but it is not as mission critical as other fires we are putting out now.
Assignee: nobody → pmac
fixed on stage  https://www.allizom.org/metrofirefox --> https://www.allizom.org/en-US/firefox/new/
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 9 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
OS: Windows 8 Metro → Windows 8.1
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.