Closed Bug 1108416 Opened 7 years ago Closed 7 years ago

TypeError: client.currentObject is undefined @ <chrome://chatzilla/content/static.js> 4615

Categories

(Other Applications :: ChatZilla, defect)

x86_64
Linux
defect
Not set
critical

Tracking

(Not tracked)

VERIFIED FIXED

People

(Reporter: n.nethercote, Assigned: Gijs)

References

Details

(Keywords: hang, Whiteboard: [cz-0.9.91.1])

Attachments

(1 file, 1 obsolete file)

I use Chatzilla with trunk builds. I just updated mozilla-central and when I started Chatzilla I got this message:

> TypeError: client.currentObject is undefined @ <chrome://chatzilla/content/static.js> 4615

Once I dismissed that message, the Chatzilla window failed to connect to my usual IRC network and channels.
I bisected the problem down to bug 1103181 which removed String.prototype.quote(). And sure enough, content/chatzilla/static.js uses quote() in several places.

I'm on v0.9.91 of Chatzilla, BTW.
Blocks: 1103181
CSS.escape() might be a suitable replacement for String.prototype.quote().
Duplicate of this bug: 1108568
Hrmpf.
Assignee: rginda → gijskruitbosch+bugs
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED
Attached patch remove usage of str.quote, (obsolete) — Splinter Review
Attachment #8533171 - Flags: review?(bugzilla-mozilla-20000923)
Attachment #8533181 - Flags: review?(bugzilla-mozilla-20000923)
Attachment #8533171 - Attachment is obsolete: true
Attachment #8533171 - Flags: review?(bugzilla-mozilla-20000923)
I used to see "TypeError: currentObject is undefined" twice without line number at cZ startup in the client tab; it did not prevent cZ to connect normally to both of my configured networks.

Today (after a few days of absence from the computer) I see the message with line number in a blocking popup. When I click "OK" in that popup, cZ seems to get into a hang with its window open but with no content (the menubar even lacks the "ChatZila" menu). But is it a real hang or just unusual slowness? Today my computer wouldn't start until I selected "Fan: Silent (minimum noise; may reduce CPU performance)" in the BIOS setup; and the computer is indeed noticeably slower than it used to be.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:37.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/37.0 SeaMonkey/2.34a1 ID:20141210003001 c-c:88bde0fc609a m-c:d7c76fe69e9a

cZ 0.9.91
About eight hours later, no change. Not even a "client" tab: ChatZila _is_ hung AFAICT. (The rest of the Suite isn't.)
Severity: normal → critical
Keywords: hang
(In reply to Tony Mechelynck [:tonymec] from comment #7)
> Today (after a few days of absence from the computer) I see the message with
> line number in a blocking popup. When I click "OK" in that popup, cZ seems
> to get into a hang with its window open but with no content (the menubar
> even lacks the "ChatZila" menu).

The dialog is for unexpected exceptions during start-up - if you get this, the window is never going to appear since the start-up code has died.
Comment on attachment 8533181 [details] [diff] [review]
remove usage of str.quote,

Review of attachment 8533181 [details] [diff] [review]:
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Looks good, r=silver
Attachment #8533181 - Flags: review?(bugzilla-mozilla-20000923) → review+
http://hg.mozilla.org/chatzilla/rev/a5e769e50009
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Closed: 7 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
IIUC, this fix landed after the SeaMonkey nightly which I was about to install was built. Let's try to find an hourly.
Hoho! The latest build in seamonkey/tinderbox-builds/comm-central-linux64 on the FTP server (it was the latest shortly after I posted comment 12 and it still is the latest now) has a Build ID of 20141211054635 (2014-12-11 05:46:35 Mozilla time); IOW its source was pulled more than an hour _before_ comment #11. I'll have to wait before marking this bug VERIFIED. I don't have access to the exact ChatZilla changeset ID packaged in distribution/extensions, see bug 825549.

 

To njn (and anyone using ChatZilla on SeaMonkey): IMPORTANT: SeaMonkey will not automatically update to the cZ version packaged with it, if there already is an earlier 0.9.91 (the same version number) in your profile. Here is how to update it manually:

1. Browse to the "distribution/extensions" subfolder of SeaMonkey's installation directory. The exact URL varies between platforms, and on Linux there are several possibilities. The one I use is (as typed in the URL bar) "file:///usr/local/seamonkey/distribution/extensions/" (without the quotes). AFAIK it is fairly typical for something fetched from Mozilla (not from a Linux distro), but other choices (including under $HOME if not installed by a sysadmin) are possible. On Windows, there may be spaces in the path; replace each of them by %20

2. There are three files in that directory, all of them XPIs. The Debug & QA UI extension and the DOM Inspector extension have human-readable names; we want the third one, {59c81df5-4b7a-477b-912d-4e0fdf64e5f2}.xpi, which is ChatZilla. Click that.

3. The usual addon-instal dialog comes up, with the "Cancel" and "Install Now" buttons. Click the latter once the countdown has expired.

4. Wait a few seconds, then go to the "Extensions" tab of the add-ons manager (and reload it if it was already open in a tab). The ChatZilla entry should have got a pale green background and a line saying "ChatZilla will be updated after you restart SeaMonkey".

5. Restart SeaMonkey.
Gijs, what's the process for landed fixes making it into installable ChatZilla XPIs? Will a new one be available soon? Thanks.
Flags: needinfo?(gijskruitbosch+bugs)
Installable XPIs are available from http://james-ross.co.uk/mozilla/chatzilla/nightly/ (which was broken, again, but I've just fixed it again).
Flags: needinfo?(gijskruitbosch+bugs)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:37.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/37.0 SeaMonkey/2.34a1 ID:20141212003001 c-c:46e2006812f2 m-c:5288b15d22de

ChatZilla 0.9.91 2014-12-11 23:14

Test was not conclusive:
- dialog did not appear, but I'm not sure I saw it every time before
- "TypeError: can't access dead object" still appears (with no other details) twice in the client tab at startup but this might be a different bug
- All tabs (client, networks, channels, users) open and function normally.

njn, are you still seeing the bug with the latest XPI from James's site?
Flags: needinfo?(n.nethercote)
> njn, are you still seeing the bug with the latest XPI from James's site?

I just updated to http://james-ross.co.uk/mozilla/chatzilla/nightly/builds/0.9.91/201412112314/chatzilla-0.9.91-201412112314.xpi and it's working well. Thank you for the fix.

Tony, I think you're seeing a different bug. YOu should probably file a new bug report.
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
Flags: needinfo?(n.nethercote)
> I just updated to
> http://james-ross.co.uk/mozilla/chatzilla/nightly/builds/0.9.91/201412112314/
> chatzilla-0.9.91-201412112314.xpi and it's working well. Thank you for the
> fix.

I'm getting a new problem, though. Every time I click on a link in ChatZilla I get this:

	[ERROR]	Internal error dispatching command “goto-url-newtab”.
	[ERROR]	TypeError: browserWin.content is null @ <chrome://chatzilla/content/commands.js> 2234

and the link doesn't open. Should I file a new bug?
Flags: needinfo?(bugzilla-mozilla-20000923)
(In reply to Nicholas Nethercote [:njn] from comment #18)
> > I just updated to
> > http://james-ross.co.uk/mozilla/chatzilla/nightly/builds/0.9.91/201412112314/
> > chatzilla-0.9.91-201412112314.xpi and it's working well. Thank you for the
> > fix.
> 
> I'm getting a new problem, though. Every time I click on a link in ChatZilla
> I get this:
> 
> 	[ERROR]	Internal error dispatching command “goto-url-newtab”.
> 	[ERROR]	TypeError: browserWin.content is null @
> <chrome://chatzilla/content/commands.js> 2234
> 
> and the link doesn't open. Should I file a new bug?

Yes please!
I'm using the latest Firefox "Nightly" 37.0a1, 64-bit (Build ID: 20141217030202) for Linux (openSUSE 13.2) with the latest ChatZilla version 0.9.91 ('Last Updated on December 17, 2014').

Receiving the following run-time error upon invoking ChatZilla:

"TypeError: client.currentObject is undefined @ <chrome://chatzilla/content/static.js> 4615"

When I click 'OK', the application doesn't proceed any further, just blank.

System Info:

ejm@galicia:~> uname -a

Linux galicia 3.18.0-FINAL-Plus-git-2756d37-Pogorze-Karpackie-CUSTOM-KERNEL #1 Fri Dec 12 07:58:41 CET 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
I filed bug 1113040 for the won't-open-links problem.
Flags: needinfo?(bugzilla-mozilla-20000923)
(In reply to Eugene J. Markow from comment #20)
> I'm using the latest Firefox "Nightly" 37.0a1, 64-bit (Build ID:
> 20141217030202) for Linux (openSUSE 13.2) with the latest ChatZilla version
> 0.9.91 ('Last Updated on December 17, 2014').
> 
> Receiving the following run-time error upon invoking ChatZilla:
> 
> "TypeError: client.currentObject is undefined @
> <chrome://chatzilla/content/static.js> 4615"
> 
> When I click 'OK', the application doesn't proceed any further, just blank.
> 
> System Info:
> 
> ejm@galicia:~> uname -a
> 
> Linux galicia 3.18.0-FINAL-Plus-git-2756d37-Pogorze-Karpackie-CUSTOM-KERNEL
> #1 Fri Dec 12 07:58:41 CET 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

You should use the XPI from http://james-ross.co.uk/mozilla/chatzilla/nightly/builds/0.9.91/201412112314/chatzilla-0.9.91-201412112314.xpi instead. We've not updated AMO yet.
Whiteboard: [No update on AMO, please see the link in comment #22 for a working XPI]
Whiteboard: [No update on AMO, please see the link in comment #22 for a working XPI] → [AMO has an update: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/chatzilla/versions/0.9.91.1 ]
Whiteboard: [AMO has an update: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/chatzilla/versions/0.9.91.1 ] → [cz-0.9.91.1]
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.