Migrate SeaMonkey website from CVS to hg

RESOLVED FIXED

Status

Developer Services
Legacy VCS
RESOLVED FIXED
3 years ago
3 years ago

People

(Reporter: Ian Neal, Assigned: hwine)

Tracking

Details

(Reporter)

Description

3 years ago
The SeaMonkey project depends on cvs for the website it should be moved to a modern source control application such as SVN. If need be, the HgSubversion extension for Mercurial could be used.

This is spun off from the tracking bug 1057920
(Reporter)

Updated

3 years ago
Assignee: nobody → server-ops
Component: www.seamonkey-project.org → Server Operations
Product: Websites → mozilla.org
QA Contact: shyam
Version: Trunk → other
Jens, from irc with some folks at Mozilla. On the repo side itself there is preference for hg.

Am I correct that hg is also your preference (instead of svn )
Assignee: server-ops → nobody
Component: Server Operations → MOC: Service Requests
Flags: needinfo?(jh)
Product: mozilla.org → Infrastructure & Operations
QA Contact: shyam → lypulong
Moved component per limbs telling me the old place is going away
Yeah, I'd love to take advantage of q management for preparing website changes. But I understand this can be achieved on top of SVN, too, so I feel the actual decision should really be up to the guys setting up the push-website-changes-live server side.
Flags: needinfo?(jh)
(Reporter)

Comment 4

3 years ago
I have no issues with it being on hg rather than svn
Component: MOC: Service Requests → Legacy VCS
Product: Infrastructure & Operations → Developer Services
QA Contact: lypulong

Updated

3 years ago
Summary: Migrate SeaMonkey website from CVS to SVN → Migrate SeaMonkey website from CVS to hg
(Reporter)

Comment 5

3 years ago
Are there any time scales for this?
(Reporter)

Comment 6

3 years ago
Who needs to initiate this or is it just a matter of waiting for a time slot?
(Assignee)

Comment 7

3 years ago
What's the status on this - cvs.mozilla.org is scheduled to be decommissioned shortly. See bug 1057920 comment 7.
Flags: needinfo?(iann_bugzilla)
(Reporter)

Comment 8

3 years ago
Hi, as per comment 6, what do we need to do to initiate this?
Flags: needinfo?(iann_bugzilla) → needinfo?(hwine)

Updated

3 years ago
Depends on: 1142868

Updated

3 years ago
No longer depends on: 1142868

Comment 9

3 years ago
We just need somewhere to host this website that's accessible.

Where in hg.mozilla.org can we put this?
(Assignee)

Comment 10

3 years ago
(In reply to Edmund Wong (:ewong) from comment #9)
> We just need somewhere to host this website that's accessible.
> 
> Where in hg.mozilla.org can we put this?

I think the "right" place is under hg.mozilla.org://www/

Which commit level should the repository have?
Flags: needinfo?(hwine) → needinfo?(ewong)
(In reply to Hal Wine [:hwine] (use needinfo) from comment #10)
> (In reply to Edmund Wong (:ewong) from comment #9)
> > We just need somewhere to host this website that's accessible.
> > 
> > Where in hg.mozilla.org can we put this?
> 
> I think the "right" place is under hg.mozilla.org://www/
> 
> Which commit level should the repository have?

I'm going to suggest L2.   Jens, Callek, any opinion?
Flags: needinfo?(ewong) → needinfo?(jh)
(In reply to Edmund Wong (:ewong) from comment #11)
> I'm going to suggest L2.   Jens, Callek, any opinion?

Personally I'd tend more toward L3, i.e. same as comm-central.

Technically, only those who worked on the website until now need access. All those people have L3 anyway.

Trust wise, (only) if someone is allowed to make changes to SM code, they should be experienced enough to take caution. Bear in mind that changes to the website will almost instantly go live (which is why I have/use a staging environment).
Flags: needinfo?(jh)
(In reply to Jens Hatlak (:InvisibleSmiley) from comment #12)
> (In reply to Edmund Wong (:ewong) from comment #11)
> > I'm going to suggest L2.   Jens, Callek, any opinion?
> 
> Personally I'd tend more toward L3, i.e. same as comm-central.
> 
> Technically, only those who worked on the website until now need access. All
> those people have L3 anyway.
> 
> Trust wise, (only) if someone is allowed to make changes to SM code, they
> should be experienced enough to take caution. Bear in mind that changes to
> the website will almost instantly go live (which is why I have/use a staging
> environment).

True.  Since you're the owner of the website,  L3, then.
Since it's nearing the end of March, can someone point out who I should contact
to get this migrated?  If I remember, there's also some hooks that regularly
polls the cvs website repo for changes and post 'em to the website.  That
needs to be changed as well, though I have no idea where.

Thanks
As Laura commented in bug 1057920, CVS is scheduled to be decommissioned by today. We can hold on a little while longer but we need to close out the SeaMonkey bugs.

Hal - Can you please help Edmund get the SeaMonkey site migrated to Hg?
Flags: needinfo?(hwine)
(Assignee)

Updated

3 years ago
Depends on: 1150329
(Assignee)

Updated

3 years ago
Depends on: 1150331
(Assignee)

Updated

3 years ago
Depends on: 1150335
(Assignee)

Updated

3 years ago
No longer depends on: 1150331
(Assignee)

Updated

3 years ago
No longer depends on: 1150329
(Assignee)

Comment 16

3 years ago
Ed - I've opened all the needed bugs to complete the website move, with all the different groups. You can follow progress via the dependency chain.
Assignee: nobody → hwine
Flags: needinfo?(hwine)
(Assignee)

Comment 17

3 years ago
The cvs repository has been set to readonly mode.
(Assignee)

Updated

3 years ago
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 3 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.