Closed Bug 1418325 Opened 5 years ago Closed 5 years ago

"profile missing or inaccessible" message for users with non-latin characters in path

Categories

(Toolkit :: Startup and Profile System, defect)

57 Branch
defect
Not set
major

Tracking

()

RESOLVED FIXED
Tracking Status
firefox-esr52 --- unaffected
firefox57 + fixed
firefox58 + fixed
firefox59 + fixed

People

(Reporter: philipp, Unassigned)

References

Details

(Keywords: regression, reproducible)

Attachments

(1 file)

[Tracking Requested - why for this release]:
we got reports from multiple users with chinese, cyrillic & hebrew characters in their windows account names (and therefore the path to their userprofile) that after they've update to firefox 57 they get the "profile missing or inaccessible" when they attempt the browser. 

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1186764
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1186731

i could reproduce the problem when creating a windows account with the usernames referenced in the sumo thread.
Flags: needinfo?(rkothari)
Flags: needinfo?(jmathies)
I'll file a pi-request.
Flags: needinfo?(jmathies)
We had similar issues in 55 that we fixed in a dot release. There is an open bug for adding test coverage in this area, bug 1392308.
I cannot reproduce it on linux. This seems to be a windows bug only.

Can somebody check if it is reproducible with FF58?
_if_ bug 1407751 is related, it could be that it is already fixed by bug 1416174 on FF58.
Flags: needinfo?(amarchesini)
the issue still reproduces on 58.0b4
I can confirm that this issue is reproducible using Chinese, Cyrillic and Hebrew windows account names.

Please note that this issue can be reproduce even by simply running an affected Firefox build (57,58 and 59) and not only by performing an update.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create and login with a Cyrillic windows account (ex.Администратор).
2. Launch Firefox 57.0.
3. Observe that the error is displayed and Firefox cannot start.

Steps to reproduce using update:

1. Create and login with a Cyrillic windows account (ex.Администратор).
2. Launch Firefox 56.0.2 with a new profile.
3. Update Firefox to 57.0.
4. Observe that the error is displayed and Firefox cannot start.


Last good revision: 92a8b8ce2f728ea5cc4ea8e4d8b3e2c5fe76a9ed
First bad revision: 321e5a4f37b543c73055159b9630621890fc8b4e

Pushlog:
https://hg.mozilla.org/integration/mozilla-inbound/pushloghtml?fromchange=92a8b8ce2f728ea5cc4ea8e4d8b3e2c5fe76a9ed&tochange=321e5a4f37b543c73055159b9630621890fc8b4e

Florian, can you please have a look into this? Thanks!
Flags: needinfo?(florian)
52.5.0esr is not affected when i am re-testing it myself now, so comment #3 was a wrong avenue. sorry for that!
(In reply to Emil Ghitta, QA [:emilghitta] from comment #6)
> I can confirm that this issue is reproducible using Chinese, Cyrillic and
> Hebrew windows account names.
> 
> Please note that this issue can be reproduce even by simply running an
> affected Firefox build (57,58 and 59) and not only by performing an update.
> 
> Steps to reproduce:
> 
> 1. Create and login with a Cyrillic windows account (ex.Администратор).
> 2. Launch Firefox 57.0.
> 3. Observe that the error is displayed and Firefox cannot start.

When testing, it always worked for me if C:\Users\Администратор\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini didn't exist. Once that file exists, I can't start Firefox 57 (or a current local build) anymore.

> Pushlog:
> https://hg.mozilla.org/integration/mozilla-inbound/
> pushloghtml?fromchange=92a8b8ce2f728ea5cc4ea8e4d8b3e2c5fe76a9ed&tochange=321e
> 5a4f37b543c73055159b9630621890fc8b4e
> 
> Florian, can you please have a look into this? Thanks!

The bug that seems the most obviously related in that range is bug 1372152 (Windows-only code related to getting folder paths). Attempting to backout this patch locally and building didn't help for me though. Still investigating.
Running mozregression gives me this range: https://hg.mozilla.org/integration/mozilla-inbound/pushloghtml?fromchange=d69a6595&tochange=a9a24a28 -> bug 1363482
Blocks: 1363482
Flags: needinfo?(florian) → needinfo?(kmaglione+bmo)
See Also: → 1417842
See Also: → 1420427
(In reply to Florian Quèze [:florian] [:flo] from comment #9)
> When testing, it always worked for me if
> C:\Users\Администратор\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini didn't
> exist. Once that file exists, I can't start Firefox 57 (or a current local
> build) anymore.

Confirmed, just touching an empty profiles.ini triggers the bug for me.
(In reply to Andy McKay [:andym] from comment #10)
> (In reply to Florian Quèze [:florian] [:flo] from comment #9)
> > When testing, it always worked for me if
> > C:\Users\Администратор\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini didn't
> > exist. Once that file exists, I can't start Firefox 57 (or a current local
> > build) anymore.
> 
> Confirmed, just touching an empty profiles.ini triggers the bug for me.

Sorry for the spam please ignore this comment, I was doing it wrong.
When a fix is ready and is deemed low risk, we can consider this for inclusion in a  57.x dot release.
Flags: needinfo?(rkothari)
I believe my bug 1420427 patch will also fix this.
yes, retesting it with 57.0.1 candidate build 2 apparently fixes the problem described in this bug too. thank you!
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 5 years ago
Flags: needinfo?(kmaglione+bmo)
Resolution: --- → FIXED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.