This is a metabug for a project to stop using the preprocessor for our CSS. This will enable the use of tooling/linting on more of our CSS, which will help with keeping a consistent code style and making sure our CSS is accessible/understandable for new folks.
The plan was developed in conversation with Dave and Dão, and articulated in https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HRHPq4aij7r7FKm56Q2FtLOlEGtGH-31s6a2Qf510cc/edit .
Roughly, it involves the following steps (for which I'll file deps):
- Rename CSS file ending in
- Replace our use of preprocessor variables (
%define) with CSS variables.
- Replace conditionals with other constructs (removing obsolete things, or changing to comments, variables, selectors or commented out preprocessor conditionals for UA sheets)
- Package shared theme files into a
shared/ subdirectory of the skin (theme) package, instead of packaging them into the same directory as the OS-specific ones.
- Replace includes by either unifying files so we just have 1 shared file, inlining them, or using
@import from a shared location.