Open Bug 534873 (svga11y) Opened 15 years ago Updated 6 months ago

[meta] SVG a11y

Categories

(Core :: Disability Access APIs, defect)

defect

Tracking

()

People

(Reporter: davidb, Unassigned)

References

(Depends on 9 open bugs)

Details

(Keywords: meta)

      No description provided.
Depends on: 633983
Alias: svga11y
from bug 809744:

SVG has title and desc elements (http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/struct.html#DescriptionAndTitleElements) which should be mapped into accessible name and accessible description correspondingly.

SVG element containing these elements should be accessible. It makes sense to expose an accessible for title element since it's implemented as tooltip and fire proper events when it shown/hidden.

Some SVG elements use xlink attributes. I'm not sure whether they act as links.

Also SVG has text element which is visible and thus should be exposed to AT as text interface.

Maybe we have something else that should be accessible.

SVG example which is not accessible in Firefox at all: http://www.nvaccess.org/audioScreen/svg/house.svg.

Jonathan, can you provide some details about SVG and SVG implementation please? For example, what elements can contain title and desc elements and where their implementation is located in.
Flags: needinfo?
I would personally like to see that:
 * Any svg element with an inner title or desc be exposed as an Accessible object, who's name is title and description is desc. Role can most likely be graphic.
 * accNavigate should work, but most important is accHitTest as accessing svgs with touch screens by the blind has major practical benefits.
 * a nice-to-have though not so critical is general support for ARIA. I.e. ability to hide an svg element from the accessible tree with role="presentation". I have used this to an extent in my house.svg example linked in the bug.
Flags: needinfo?
Jonathan, I'd be nice if you can advice us about svg implementation
Flags: needinfo?(jwatt)
Jonathan, I'd be nice if you can advice us about svg implementation
(In reply to alexander :surkov from comment #2)
> from bug 809744:
> 
> SVG has title and desc elements
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/struct.html#DescriptionAndTitleElements) which
> should be mapped into accessible name and accessible description
> correspondingly.
> 
> SVG element containing these elements should be accessible. It makes sense
> to expose an accessible for title element since it's implemented as tooltip
> and fire proper events when it shown/hidden.

That sounds like it makes sense.

> Some SVG elements use xlink attributes. I'm not sure whether they act as
> links.

Depends on what you mean by "links". I think you only need to care about <a xlink:href="blah"></a>.

> Also SVG has text element which is visible and thus should be exposed to AT
> as text interface.

Note that bug 655877 is radically changing the SVG text implementation. Best not to touch that code until that bug is fixed.

> Maybe we have something else that should be accessible.
> 
> SVG example which is not accessible in Firefox at all:
> http://www.nvaccess.org/audioScreen/svg/house.svg.
> 
> Jonathan, can you provide some details about SVG and SVG implementation
> please? For example, what elements can contain title and desc elements and
> where their implementation is located in.

The section of the spec you linked to says these elements can contain <title>/<desc>:

http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/intro.html#TermContainerElement
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/intro.html#TermGraphicsElement

The implementation of these elements is under content/svg/content/src in files with names matching the element names.
Flags: needinfo?(jwatt)
Depends on: 822983
Depends on: 822987
Depends on: 822988
Depends on: 822990
Depends on: 764422
Depends on: 822997
Depends on: 824320
Depends on: 826994
Depends on: 868789
Depends on: 935935
Depends on: 1728676
Depends on: 1738835
Depends on: 1767832
Severity: normal → S3
Depends on: 1800736
Depends on: 1825718
Depends on: 1866718
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.