Open Bug 769472 Opened 7 years ago Updated 3 years ago

Remove "View Page Info" from the context menu

Categories

(Firefox :: Menus, defect)

defect
Not set

Tracking

()

People

(Reporter: jaws, Unassigned)

References

Details

Attachments

(2 files, 1 obsolete file)

We should remove the "View Page Info" from the context menu. There is already two other places to access the Page Info dialog (from the site identity panel as well as the Tools menu).
Attached patch Patch (obsolete) — Splinter Review
Attachment #637734 - Flags: ui-review?(zfang)
Attachment #637734 - Flags: review?(fryn)
(In reply to Jared Wein [:jaws] from comment #0)
> There is already two other places to access the Page Info dialog

* site identity panel

The context around this button leads one to believe the dialog only contains security information. (It also open the dialog to the security tab).

* Tools menu

Only visible by default on XP and OS X and doesn't let you view info for subframes.

I think removing the entry from the tools menu would be more desirable for the above reasons.
FWIW Page info is going away with Australis redesign(maybe I've misunderstood)or it's gonna be redesign to connect better with about:permissions.
There has been talk about merging the Permissions portion of Page Info with about:permissions once about:permissions has a visible entry point, but until then there is no plan to make changes to the Permissions portion of Page Info (or any other part of Page Info).
Attachment #637734 - Flags: ui-review?(zfang) → ui-review+
Attached patch Update testsSplinter Review
I'll fold the two patches together when I land.
Attachment #638016 - Flags: review?(fryn)
Attached patch Patch for bug v2Splinter Review
Removed line, carrying forward ui-r+ from fang.
Attachment #637734 - Attachment is obsolete: true
Attachment #638025 - Flags: ui-review+
Attachment #638025 - Flags: review?(fryn)
Attachment #638025 - Flags: review?(fryn) → review+
Attachment #638016 - Flags: review?(fryn) → review+
Comment on attachment 638025 [details] [diff] [review]
Patch for bug v2

(In reply to Matthew N. [:MattN] from comment #2)
> (In reply to Jared Wein [:jaws] from comment #0)
> > There is already two other places to access the Page Info dialog
> 
> * site identity panel
> 
> The context around this button leads one to believe the dialog only contains
> security information. (It also open the dialog to the security tab).
> 
> * Tools menu
> 
> Only visible by default on XP and OS X and doesn't let you view info for
> subframes.

Right, this situation seems insufficient. One way to address this might be to add Page Info to both Web Developer menus, such that the location bar covers the security stuff and Web Developer covers the General and Media tabs. However, this still leaves the question of what to do about the Permissions tab and sub frames.
Attachment #638025 - Flags: review-
Component: General → Menus
QA Contact: general → menus
(In reply to Dão Gottwald [:dao] from comment #8)
> Comment on attachment 638025 [details] [diff] [review]
> Patch for bug v2
> 
> (In reply to Matthew N. [:MattN] from comment #2)
> > (In reply to Jared Wein [:jaws] from comment #0)
> > > There is already two other places to access the Page Info dialog
> > 
> > * site identity panel
> > 
> > The context around this button leads one to believe the dialog only contains
> > security information. (It also open the dialog to the security tab).
> > 
> > * Tools menu
> > 
> > Only visible by default on XP and OS X and doesn't let you view info for
> > subframes.
> 
> Right, this situation seems insufficient. One way to address this might be
> to add Page Info to both Web Developer menus, such that the location bar
> covers the security stuff and Web Developer covers the General and Media
> tabs. However, this still leaves the question of what to do about the
> Permissions tab and sub frames.

The context menu item always only opened the Page Info for the top frame. See the line of code here:
>- viewInfo: function() {		
>-   BrowserPageInfo(this.target.ownerDocument.defaultView.top.document);		
>- },

I think there are two issues to address here:
1) We don't need a menuitem to access each tab within the Page Info dialog, the same way we don't have menuitems to access each tab within the Preferences.

2) I asked for ui-review on this patch to get signoff from the UX team as to the desired interactions here. The issues brought up in comment #8 and comment #2 are based on the interactions, not on the level of code quality. For questions like these, we should be deferring to the UX team and not overriding their judgements.
(In reply to Jared Wein [:jaws] from comment #9)
> The context menu item always only opened the Page Info for the top frame.
> See the line of code here:
> >- viewInfo: function() {		
> >-   BrowserPageInfo(this.target.ownerDocument.defaultView.top.document);		
> >- },

Interesting, so your patch leaves "View Frame Info" intact?

> 1) We don't need a menuitem to access each tab within the Page Info dialog,
> the same way we don't have menuitems to access each tab within the
> Preferences.

We have a generic entry point for Preferences. We don't really have that for Page Info, as comment 2 pointed out.

The UX team isn't an oracle spitting out absolute truths. If comment 2 has been considered, please provide the reasoning in the bug.
(In reply to Dão Gottwald [:dao] from comment #10)
> Interesting, so your patch leaves "View Frame Info" intact?

Yes, because there is no other entry point for that information. I'll defer to someone from the UX team to respond to the other question.
Is there any bug for removing also "View Page Source"?
or we won't be removing it?
(In reply to Matthew N. [:MattN] from comment #2)
> * site identity panel
> 
> The context around this button leads one to believe the dialog only contains
> security information. (It also open the dialog to the security tab).
> 
> * Tools menu
> 
> Only visible by default on XP and OS X and doesn't let you view info for
> subframes.
> 
> I think removing the entry from the tools menu would be more desirable for
> the above reasons.

(In reply to Dão Gottwald [:dao] from comment #10)
>
> We have a generic entry point for Preferences. We don't really have that for
> Page Info, as comment 2 pointed out.
> 
> The UX team isn't an oracle spitting out absolute truths. If comment 2 has
> been considered, please provide the reasoning in the bug.

Even we have three entry points for "view page info", the identity panel should be the place that the user go to to find page-specific information. The current design does emphasis a lot on security information, but user can still access general information from there. And we already have bugs tracking the redesign of identity panel. see bug588613, bug 588685, bug 588689. 

IMO removing the link from context menu help simplify the UI, and it doesn't take away the ability for users to access the information (we should even educate user to go to identity panel after we have a better design for larry) Besides, we have heatmap data showing that very few users actually use "view page info" in the context menu.

For "Web Developers" menu, the UI is already quite busy there. I'll avoid adding too many links in the sub-menu unless it's really relevant to webDev users.
(In reply to Zhenshuo Fang (:fang) - Firefox UX Team from comment #13)
> Even we have three entry points for "view page info", the identity panel
> should be the place that the user go to to find page-specific information.
> The current design does emphasis a lot on security information, but user can
> still access general information from there.

Sure, but it's not clear that you're going to find that stuff there in the first place.

> And we already have bugs
> tracking the redesign of identity panel. see bug588613, bug 588685, bug
> 588689.

These bugs are two years old and apparently stalled, so just pointing to their existence doesn't quite satisfy me. Reviving bug 588689 and fixing it by opening Page Info's Permissions tab rather than about:permissions might be a realistic short-term solution, though.

> For "Web Developers" menu, the UI is already quite busy there. I'll avoid
> adding too many links in the sub-menu unless it's really relevant to webDev
> users.

The General and Media tabs are relevant, I think, and don't seem to be covered by other web dev tools.
Depends on: 588689
Assignee: jAwS → nobody
Status: ASSIGNED → NEW
See Also: → 607230
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.