Closed Bug 1076764 Opened 7 years ago Closed 6 years ago

Implement contacts import success and error reporting

Categories

(Hello (Loop) :: Client, defect, P2)

defect
Points:
5

Tracking

(firefox36-)

RESOLVED FIXED
mozilla38
Iteration:
38.1 - 26 Jan
Tracking Status
firefox36 - ---
Blocking Flags:
backlog Fx38+

People

(Reporter: mikedeboer, Unassigned)

References

Details

(Whiteboard: [strings])

User Story

Google import error should change from "Something went wrong." to "Some contacts could not be imported. Please try again."

Attachments

(1 file, 1 obsolete file)

The UX flow specified by bug 1076762 needs to be implemented.
Flags: qe-verify+
Flags: firefox-backlog+
Depends on: 1047164
Assignee: nobody → MattN+bmo
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED
Iteration: --- → 36.1
Points: --- → 5
backlog: --- → Fx36?
In bug 1076762 comment 1, Darrin mentioned not notifying on success.
Iteration: 36.1 → ---
backlog: Fx36? → Fx36+
Priority: -- → P1
Whiteboard: [strings]
this bug work was broken down (so meta), the last action (replacing generic error with helpful one) is on but 1076762
backlog: Fx36+ → Fx36?
Assignee: MattN+bmo → nobody
Assignee: nobody → MattN+bmo
Iteration: --- → 36.3
User Story: (updated)
backlog: Fx36? → Fx36+
Iteration: 36.3 → 37.1
Assignee: MattN+bmo → nobody
Status: ASSIGNED → NEW
Iteration: 37.1 → ---
Depends on: 1105537
[Tracking Requested - why for this release]:
We need to finish off success and error reporting for importing contacts
Not critical enough to be tracked for the 36 release.
Moving all P1->P2.  (P2 means a major bug that we very much want to fix, but we wouldn't stop ship or block the release for it.)
Here's the actual change from P1->P2 (per the previous comment).  P2 indicates a major bug, but not a stop ship.
Priority: P1 → P2
backlog: Fx36+ → Fx38+
Assignee: nobody → nperriault
This is theoretical code, as I didn't find a proper way to simulate an import failure yet, hence just asking for feedback for now.
Attachment #8548949 - Flags: feedback?(standard8)
Blocks: 1110508
Added error and success notifications for contacts import.
Attachment #8548949 - Attachment is obsolete: true
Attachment #8548949 - Flags: feedback?(standard8)
Attachment #8549687 - Flags: review?(standard8)
Comment on attachment 8549687 [details] [diff] [review]
Better error message on Loop contact import failure.

Review of attachment 8549687 [details] [diff] [review]:
-----------------------------------------------------------------

This looks great. r=Standard8.

My only concern was over the strings - I think we changed/added some strings in 36 for this bug, which were different to what is documented here :-( However, this is an improvement, so I think we should land it - I believe that any subsequent change would use the same architecture anyway. I'll file a follow-up to either switch to the new strings (which also has a button), or remove the now redundant strings.
Attachment #8549687 - Flags: review?(standard8) → review+
Blocks: 1122471
Filed bug 1122471 for the follow-up.
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED
Iteration: 37.2 → 38.1 - 26 Jan
https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/4cd191478d41
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Closed: 6 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Assigning to Paul for verification since Anthony no longer manages Loop.
QA Contact: anthony.s.hughes → paul.silaghi
I disabled the network adapter just before finalizing the last step from contacts importing:
http://i.imgur.com/hCowWcW.png - importing circle spins forever.
The "Some contacts could not be imported. Please try again." error shows up only after I close the import window.

Also the error shows up if canceling the last step from import. Not sure if this is expected, since I want to cancel the import, and the error says "Some contacts could not be imported".

Thoughts?
Flags: needinfo?(nperriault)
Duplicate of this bug: 1091184
(In reply to Paul Silaghi, QA [:pauly] from comment #14)
> Thoughts?

It feels like the issue resides in chrome-land, where the import process is actually performed. Content only subscribes to success/error notification using a callback and the latter seems to be triggered after the import window being closed.

NI :mikedeboer here which might have thoughts on this, and a possible solution.
Flags: needinfo?(nperriault) → needinfo?(mdeboer)
Paul, feel free to file a bug on this. It's not likely we'll work on a solution for that case soon, but it's at least useful to have a reference that this issue exists.
Flags: needinfo?(mdeboer)
Depends on: 1143629
Depends on: 1143298
(In reply to Paul Silaghi [:pauly] from comment #14)

Based on Paul's comment and on my testing I logged two issues:
 
> I disabled the network adapter just before finalizing the last step from
> contacts importing:
> http://i.imgur.com/hCowWcW.png - importing circle spins forever.
> The "Some contacts could not be imported. Please try again." error shows up
> only after I close the import window.

Bug 1144734 - The "Some contacts could not be imported. Please try again." error shows up only after the import window is closed

> Also the error shows up if canceling the last step from import. Not sure if
> this is expected, since I want to cancel the import, and the error says
> "Some contacts could not be imported".

Bug 1144739 - Improper error message if the importing contacts is canceled
Depends on: 1144734, 1144739
Flags: qe-verify+
QA Contact: silaghipaul → vasilica.mihasca
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.