Closed Bug 733482 Opened 10 years ago Closed 8 years ago

utf-8 characters not shown after a native app install

Categories

(Firefox Graveyard :: Web Apps, defect, P2)

15 Branch
defect

Tracking

(blocking-kilimanjaro:+, firefox16 wontfix)

RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 750515
blocking-kilimanjaro +
Tracking Status
firefox16 --- wontfix

People

(Reporter: onecyrenus, Unassigned)

References

Details

Attachments

(1 file)

If you run node run.js on the latest github repo 

http://127.0.0.1:60172/tests/appstore.html and do a native install of the 3rd app with japanese characters. The japanese characters do not show on the native app install.
To be more explicit, once you go to %APPDIR%, the applications name has been truncated to just include the western characters.
Definitely moz-central worthy.
Component: Extension → Web Apps
OS: Mac OS X → All
Product: Web Apps → Firefox
QA Contact: extension → webapps
Hardware: x86 → All
Target Milestone: --- → Firefox 14
Blocks: 731054
See Also: → 738298
Whiteboard: [marketplace-beta?]
Target Milestone: Firefox 14 → ---
Whiteboard: [marketplace-beta?]
blocking-kilimanjaro: --- → ?
blocking-kilimanjaro: ? → ---
Whiteboard: [marketplace-beta-]
this bug was filed in the previous add-on implementation and then moved over to verify. can anyone check if this still happens in the native implementation that is in moz-central?
Sure. In the future, flag the bug with qawanted to indicate that a QA needs to do more testing for a particular bug.
Keywords: qawanted
Still happens on mozilla central with Win 7 64-bit. This manifest fails to include japanese characters when you install the application:

{
	"developer":
	{
		"url": "http://quality.mozilla.org",
		"name": "Mozilla QA"
	},
	"launch_path": "/testcases/fancybox.html",
	"installs_allowed_from": ["*"],
	"icons":
	{
		"126": "/appinstall/qalogo.png"
	},
	"name": "テスト Test App テスト",
	"description": "An app for running runtime test cases with native applications"
}
Keywords: qawanted
stripStringForFilename uses ^\W* to strip the beginning characters. This could probably be scoped down to certain invalid starting characters instead of all non alphanumeric.
Whiteboard: [marketplace-beta-] → [marketplace-beta=]
Attached patch v1Splinter Review
Remove spaces and certain special characters from the front of the filename.
Assignee: nobody → edilee
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED
Attachment #619688 - Flags: review?(felipc)
This is another sanitization bug like bug 747412.  It's fine to put a bandaid on this issue for now, but I think we should rework our sanitization code entirely.  For example, on Windows we need to do something if the filename santizes down to "com1" or another device name.  I've filed bug 750515 to rework our filename sanitization on Windows, and I think we should file an equivalent bug on Mac.
(In reply to Tim Abraldes from comment #8)
> This is another sanitization bug like bug 747412.  It's fine to put a
> bandaid on this issue for now, but I think we should rework our sanitization
> code entirely.  For example, on Windows we need to do something if the
> filename santizes down to "com1" or another device name.  I've filed bug
> 750515 to rework our filename sanitization on Windows, and I think we should
> file an equivalent bug on Mac.

+1. Agreed. I'll file a tracker bug for Mac now.
blocking-kilimanjaro: --- → +
Comment on attachment 619688 [details] [diff] [review]
v1

Mardak, do you mind if we do not take this patch, and go straight for bug 750515? The sanitization code was overly strict but it's probably better to get it right in one swoop rather than opening on a case-by-case. If there's a good reason for taking this patch meanwhile, please renominate.
(I'm working on bug 750515 at the moment)
Attachment #619688 - Flags: review?(felipc)
Priority: -- → P2
Target Milestone: --- → Firefox 15
Version: unspecified → 15 Branch
Whiteboard: [marketplace-beta=]
No longer blocks: 731054
Target Milestone: Firefox 15 → Firefox 16
QA Contact: jsmith
Marking for re-triage - in the android webrt triage, even though it was noted that the desktop equivalent of this UTF-8 bug was a P2, the drivers in the room actually came to an agreement that the android version was a P1. Knowing that there's a difference in priorities makes me think that we might want to re-triage this to see if this is a P1. If not, provide an explanation why the android version has a higher priority over the desktop version.

Android equivalent - bug 766604
Priority: P2 → --
Target Milestone: Firefox 16 → ---
(In reply to Felipe Gomes (:felipe) from comment #10)
> Comment on attachment 619688 [details] [diff] [review]
> v1
> 
> Mardak, do you mind if we do not take this patch, and go straight for bug
> 750515? The sanitization code was overly strict but it's probably better to
> get it right in one swoop rather than opening on a case-by-case. If there's
> a good reason for taking this patch meanwhile, please renominate.
> (I'm working on bug 750515 at the moment)

Felipe - What should we do here? I know a while back there was going to be work to improve the sanitization code in the bug you've specified, but it's been two months now since other bugs got higher priority. Should we review and see if we should land this? Or still hold off until the other bug gets fixed that you've specified?
Jason: can you provide more details about the reasoning behind the Android drivers' decision?  Desktop runtime drivers are willing to reconsider the priority of this bug, but not merely because Android drivers made a different decision on a related bug for their feature.  We need to know why they made that decision to know if their rationale also applies in this case.
(In reply to Myk Melez [:myk] [@mykmelez] from comment #13)
> Jason: can you provide more details about the reasoning behind the Android
> drivers' decision?  Desktop runtime drivers are willing to reconsider the
> priority of this bug, but not merely because Android drivers made a
> different decision on a related bug for their feature.  We need to know why
> they made that decision to know if their rationale also applies in this case.

Ragavan - Can you provide more context here for a rationale for making the UTF-8 bug on Android WebRT a P1?
Keywords: productwanted
Keywords: productwanted
Priority: -- → P2
Assignee: edilee → nobody
This would be fixed if we fixed 750515.
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Closed: 8 years ago
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE
Duplicate of bug: 750515
Product: Firefox → Firefox Graveyard
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.