Closed Bug 811528 Opened 7 years ago Closed 7 years ago

Native identity needs to be preffed on in b2g

Categories

(Core Graveyard :: Identity, defect)

defect
Not set

Tracking

(blocking-basecamp:+, firefox19 wontfix, firefox20 fixed, firefox21 fixed, b2g18 fixed)

VERIFIED FIXED
B2G C4 (2jan on)
blocking-basecamp +
Tracking Status
firefox19 --- wontfix
firefox20 --- fixed
firefox21 --- fixed
b2g18 --- fixed

People

(Reporter: jedp, Assigned: jedp)

References

Details

Attachments

(2 files)

Native identity needs to be preffed on in b2g by default.  The pref is:

pref("dom.identity.enabled", true);
Before preffing on, I'd like to get a quick test pass with John & I to see if nothing scary showing up. I'd also like to wait until the id.get bug lands before doing that pass.

Does that make sense?

Just trying to be careful since when we pref this on, native identity will go into a smoke test, so if there's bustage in a smoke test on a daily basis, then it will get red flagged in front of lots of people. I'd rather go conservative if it's possible to catch any surprises early.
Blocks: basecamp-id
Severity: enhancement → normal
(In reply to Jason Smith [:jsmith] from comment #1)
> Before preffing on, I'd like to get a quick test pass with John & I to see
> if nothing scary showing up. I'd also like to wait until the id.get bug
> lands before doing that pass.
> 
> Does that make sense?
> 
> Just trying to be careful since when we pref this on, native identity will
> go into a smoke test, so if there's bustage in a smoke test on a daily
> basis, then it will get red flagged in front of lots of people. I'd rather
> go conservative if it's possible to catch any surprises early.

That's totally reasonable.

While we're developing, it's easy enough to push the pref to the device when necessary.
For those reading this who are wondering how to pref it on in the phone, it's like this:

1. Edit profile/user.js in your gaia build and add

   pref("dom.identity.enabled", true);
   pref("toolkit.identity.debug", true);  // If you want logging

2. Push to the device:

   adb push profile/user.js /data/local/

3. Reboot

   adb reboot

Notice that the custom-pref.js file does *not* go to the device.  So while that works on desktop, it is currently not seen by the phone.
Jed, if you're not the correct owner here, please re-assign.
Assignee: nobody → jparsons
Putting qawanted on me cause this hasn't been prefed on by default cause it's waiting on qa verification.
Keywords: qawanted
QA Contact: jsmith
Depends on: 790141
Mass Modify: All un-milestoned, unresolved blocking-basecamp+ bugs are being moved into the C3 milestone. Note that the target milestone does not mean that these bugs can't be resolved prior to 12/10, rather C2 bugs should be prioritized ahead of C3 bugs.
Target Milestone: --- → B2G C3 (12dec-1jan)
Spoke with Jed - We're going to instead pref on once the id.get bug lands and do testing with it prefed on. If something scary happens, we'll handle it as needed.
Keywords: qawanted
(In reply to Jason Smith [:jsmith] from comment #7)
> Spoke with Jed - We're going to instead pref on once the id.get bug lands
> and do testing with it prefed on. If something scary happens, we'll handle
> it as needed.

id.get: That would be Bug 790141 - this actually landed some two weeks ago; it just needs a separate patch to apply to beta.  I'm working on that now.

Thanks!
j
Jed, don't forget to add a link to the PR or attach the patch to the bug and ask for review, please :).

I've commented the PR in Github.
Depends on: 820046
Depends on: 820059
In order to cleanly pref on without smoke test bustage, we need to be able to login with persona without a headache. The two bugs linked currently have me blocked from being able to complete a login. So if we pref on at this point, they will move to becoming smoketest blockers.
Enable native dom identity calls in gecko

There's a corresponding PR in gaia (other attachment pointing to PR 6845) which switches on identity debugging if `DEBUG=` when building gaia.

It's ok if one patch lands before the other; they're not interdependent.
Attachment #690528 - Flags: review?(ferjmoreno)
(In reply to Jason Smith [:jsmith] from comment #12)
> In order to cleanly pref on without smoke test bustage, we need to be able
> to login with persona without a headache. The two bugs linked currently have
> me blocked from being able to complete a login. So if we pref on at this
> point, they will move to becoming smoketest blockers.

Hi, Jason, no problem waiting until those issues are sorted out.

In the mean time, I'm requesting approval on the patch and corresponding gaia PR so they're ready to go when these blockers are fixed.
Comment on attachment 690528 [details] [diff] [review]
pref identity on in gecko

Thanks Jed!
Attachment #690528 - Attachment is patch: true
Attachment #690528 - Flags: review?(ferjmoreno) → review+
Just for simplicity - we'll just want to get the smoketest for this feature to pass and then we can land this.
(In reply to Jason Smith [:jsmith] from comment #16)
> Just for simplicity - we'll just want to get the smoketest for this feature
> to pass and then we can land this.

Sounds good.
Depends on: 820628
No longer depends on: 820046
No longer depends on: 820628
Depends on: 818575
No longer depends on: 818575
Depends on: 821351
No longer depends on: 820059
Blocks: 824836
No longer blocks: 824836
Blocks: 824836
No longer blocks: 824836
I confirmed I can sign into marketplace dev with the patch Kumar provided with this prefed on. Doesn't look like that code has been pushed to production yet though.

Kumar - Do you know when the patch for bug 821351 will end up production?
Flags: needinfo?(kumar.mcmillan)
It will reach production on Thurs Jan 3rd, our next push. I'm currently using the notoriousb2g.personatest.org server -- let me know when we can change it to prod. Changing the URL is a minor config change and can be done at any time.
Flags: needinfo?(kumar.mcmillan)
Sticking something in the whiteboard to remind me to test this when I get back "officially"
Whiteboard: [Note - Do signoff testing on this on Jan 3rd]
Late night tonight I took a quick look on dev - didn't see anything scary on marketplace dev. Assuming the same story happens on prod, I'm expecting I can sign off to pref this on after the marketplace prod push + quick sanity checks.
Target Milestone: B2G C3 (12dec-1jan) → B2G C4 (2jan on)
Okay - looks like the prod has the b2g fixes in. Signoff testing has just started to sanity check this to be okay to pref on.
(In reply to Jason Smith [:jsmith] from comment #22)
> Okay - looks like the prod has the b2g fixes in. Signoff testing has just
> started to sanity check this to be okay to pref on.

Alright, someone needs to land this patch.
Keywords: qawanted
Whiteboard: [Note - Do signoff testing on this on Jan 3rd]
Gaia piece is now landed. Need to land the gecko piece.
Blocks: 825306
Marketplace login is going to be busted each day now if this isn't landed. We need to get this landed asap in gecko, but I don't have checkin power.

Ryan - Can you get this landed?
Flags: needinfo?(ryanvm)
Landed on B2G18 at jsmith's request:
https://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla-b2g18/rev/762e339e11c3

I corrected the comment typo and whitespace in that landing, which I've then also applied to trunk in:
https://hg.mozilla.org/integration/mozilla-inbound/rev/0df826490fc0
Thanks Ed.
Don't forget to land it on Aurora also.
(In reply to Ryan VanderMeulen from comment #29)
> Don't forget to land it on Aurora also.

Adding checkin-needed for aurora (I have a meeting now).

Side note: Now that we're shipping B2G off of b2g18 do we even need B2G builds on aurora any more (until such time as we get closer to the next b2gNN fork)?
Keywords: checkin-needed
Whiteboard: [checkin-needed for aurora]
(In reply to Ed Morley [:edmorley UTC+0] from comment #31)
> Side note: Now that we're shipping B2G off of b2g18 do we even need B2G
> builds on aurora any more (until such time as we get closer to the next
> b2gNN fork)?

It was decided this morning that uplifts only need to hit b2g18 these days, so nothing else needs to be done here. Not sure if there's a bug filed about not running b2g builds on Aurora, though.
Keywords: checkin-needed
Whiteboard: [checkin-needed for aurora]
Verified - builds are getting identity prefed on by default.
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
Product: Core → Core Graveyard
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.