Closed Bug 82950 Opened 21 years ago Closed 21 years ago

Mozilla does not render the non-ASCII characters in the title

Categories

(Core :: XUL, defect)

defect
Not set
normal

Tracking

()

VERIFIED DUPLICATE of bug 9449

People

(Reporter: petter.sundlof, Assigned: danm.moz)

References

()

Details

(Keywords: intl)

Look at the URL, and you will see that Mozilla will not render the title of
http://tv.nu correctly.

It is supposed to say "på TV idag - www.tv.nu - tv tablåer till alla bra kanaler
enkelt, lätt och snabbt."

Mozilla only shows a "p".

With a GtkEmbed application, Galeon, it shows it as you can see in the URL --
"pÃ"...

Mozilla CVS from May 26th.
I can confirm this bug. BUT: I don't think that Mozilla doesn't render non-ASCII
characters - I surf mostly to russian pages, and russian is shown perfectly.
But, at the same time - west-european characters don't, as described in this
bug. I assume, this has something to do with locales - I've just tried some
others. Results: with a German locale (LC_ALL=de_DE.ISO-8859-15@euro
/usr/local/mozilla/mozilla) I still get this bug. With a C locale (LC_ALL=C
/usr/local/mozilla/mozilla) this bug is gone, but so are my russian characters
also!! (I am using ru_RU.KOI8-R) I think, this has to be corrected - though the
titlebar rendering has nothing to do with Mozilla, but at least it should have
the right characters, no matter which locale is set. I'm going to test this bug
at a windows machine tomorrow.

PS: With a German and C locale I don't get the build date (Mozilla {Build ID:})
in the titlebar, nor do I have the pages' titles - all that I get is
"mozilla-bin". Can somebody connfirm and file a bug on this?
At any rate, even if locale settings are involved, it should still be done properly.

Mozilla USED TO HANDLE THIS, Netscape does it just fine without involving local
locale settings.
I've seen the same with Polish (ISO-8859-2) pages on WindowsME. Confirming nad
changing to All/All.

I could not find any obvious dups of this one. There are some similar ones, but
not as general:  bug 77430, bug 79531, bug 78563, (the first two look like dups
of each other, BTW).
Status: UNCONFIRMED → NEW
Ever confirmed: true
OS: Linux → All
Hardware: PC → All
Change component to xptoolkit.

I found Macintosh bug 36689, but not for window's.
Assignee: nhotta → trudelle
Component: Internationalization → XP Toolkit/Widgets
Keywords: intl
->danm
Assignee: trudelle → danm
When setting LC_ALL to en_US, this seems to be resolved.

However, I don't think that should resolve this bug.
As you pointed out, there is already for the mac, bug 36889. But mostly this is a 
duplicate of a much older bug. Perhaps you were confused by that bug's incredible 
age. We're reviewing a patch by Ilya Konstantinov to that original bug to fix the 
problem on Linux (some installations, depending on which wm you're using.) The PC 
problem remains unowned.


*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 9449 ***
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 21 years ago
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE
Verified as duplicate, please reopen in case someone disagrees.
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.