B2G DSDS: provide API to activate/deactivate a SIM card

RESOLVED WONTFIX

Status

Firefox OS
RIL
RESOLVED WONTFIX
5 years ago
4 months ago

People

(Reporter: hsinyi, Unassigned)

Tracking

unspecified
x86_64
Linux
Dependency tree / graph

Firefox Tracking Flags

(blocking-b2g:-)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

5 years ago
This is the gecko bug for the user story -- Bug 931160, targeting on activating/deactivating a SIM.
(Reporter)

Comment 1

5 years ago
1.3? as this blocks 1.3+ user story, bug 931160.
blocking-b2g: --- → 1.3?

Comment 2

5 years ago
It is 1.3+. and set milestone in sprint 5. If it isn't reasonable, please update it.
blocking-b2g: 1.3? → 1.3+
Target Milestone: --- → 1.3 Sprint 5 - 11/22
Where did this requirement come from?  There is a need to activate/deactivate subscription but that's independent from the sim.
(Reporter)

Comment 4

5 years ago
(In reply to Michael Schwartz [:m4] from comment #3)
> Where did this requirement come from?  There is a need to
> activate/deactivate subscription but that's independent from the sim.

It's coming from bug 931160.

Comment 5

5 years ago
Edgar, can you take this bug?
Flags: needinfo?(echen)

Comment 6

5 years ago
(In reply to Ken Chang from comment #5)
> Edgar, can you take this bug?

Sure, I will take this.
Assignee: nobody → echen
Flags: needinfo?(echen)

Comment 7

5 years ago
(In reply to Michael Schwartz [:m4] from comment #3)
> Where did this requirement come from?  There is a need to
> activate/deactivate subscription but that's independent from the sim.

Hi m4, I saw there are some discussions about activate/deactivate subscription in bug 856553, but I still have some questions about it

1). Per my best knowledge, it seems there is not standard Android ril request for activate/deactivate subscription. Do you have any idea about how gecko should communicate with rild/modem about is?

2). If we deactivate a specific subscription, can gecko performs some operations to the sim card like reading EF ... etc. And can gecko still detect this sim card?

Could you help to give some information?
Thanks in advance. :)
Flags: needinfo?(mschwart)

Comment 8

5 years ago
1) Please refer to RIL_REQUEST_SET_UICC_SUBSCRIPTION in ril.h on codeaurora.org.

2) Activating/Deactivating the subscriptions does not change the content of the card, so accessing EFs is still a valid operation. The answer to the second part of your question is "it depends". Some parts of gecko -- mainly the parts that deal with enabling/disabling subscriptions -- will need to always be aware of all the cards and potential subscriptions, regardless of activation status. Other parts of gecko should treat inactive subscriptions much it would with a missing sim card (i.e. the sim status icon)
Flags: needinfo?(mschwart)

Comment 9

5 years ago
(In reply to pgravel from comment #8)
> 1) Please refer to RIL_REQUEST_SET_UICC_SUBSCRIPTION in ril.h on
> codeaurora.org.
> 
> 2) Activating/Deactivating the subscriptions does not change the content of
> the card, so accessing EFs is still a valid operation. The answer to the
> second part of your question is "it depends". Some parts of gecko -- mainly
> the parts that deal with enabling/disabling subscriptions -- will need to
> always be aware of all the cards and potential subscriptions, regardless of
> activation status. Other parts of gecko should treat inactive subscriptions
> much it would with a missing sim card (i.e. the sim status icon)

Thanks for the information, it's really useful :)

Updated

5 years ago
Blocks: 799023
(Reporter)

Updated

5 years ago
Blocks: 929257

Updated

5 years ago
Whiteboard: [Blocked by devices]

Comment 10

5 years ago
Kevin, without this bug we won't be able to use the patch from bug 932730. What if you guys implement an interface like below in gecko and we can take care of testing this along with other gaia changes that are almost ready on your side.

 void enableSim(in unsigned long clientId, /* callback */)
 void disableSim(in unsigned long clientId, /* callback */)
 - or -
 void setSimEnabled(in unsigned long clientId, in bool OnOrOff, /* callback */)
Flags: needinfo?(khu)

Comment 11

5 years ago
(In reply to Anshul from comment #10)
> Kevin, without this bug we won't be able to use the patch from bug 932730.
> What if you guys implement an interface like below in gecko and we can take
> care of testing this along with other gaia changes that are almost ready on
> your side.
> 
>  void enableSim(in unsigned long clientId, /* callback */)
>  void disableSim(in unsigned long clientId, /* callback */)
>  - or -
>  void setSimEnabled(in unsigned long clientId, in bool OnOrOff, /* callback
> */)

It's a good idea. However, to only provide interface isn't able to get r+ and check into m-c.

Comment 12

5 years ago
Or, I am thinking another way: to separate this into 2 bugs, one for interface only, and another one is for internal implementation. How is that?
Flags: needinfo?(khu)
(Reporter)

Comment 13

5 years ago
(In reply to Kevin Hu [:khu] from comment #12)
> Or, I am thinking another way: to separate this into 2 bugs, one for
> interface only, and another one is for internal implementation. How is that?

Then the question remains -- we still don't have implementation to verify and examine the interface. Unfortunately, the patch couldn't be review granted in that case.

Comment 14

5 years ago
Hsin-Yi, as agreed by Kevin, we will test the interfaces for you and provide the feedback.
(Reporter)

Comment 15

5 years ago
(In reply to Anshul from comment #14)
> Hsin-Yi, as agreed by Kevin, we will test the interfaces for you and provide
> the feedback.

Anshul, it's always great to have your feedback and test. We do appreciate your valuable help. We could come out an interface together that sounds good for both of us. However, the interface should be merged into our code base together with the implementation code.
(Reporter)

Comment 16

5 years ago
Moving to 1.4? as the user story bug 931160 is moved to 1.4.
blocking-b2g: 1.3+ → 1.4?
(Reporter)

Updated

5 years ago
Blocks: 931160
No longer blocks: 929257
No longer blocks: 938993
(Reporter)

Comment 17

5 years ago
Per bug 931160 comment 10.
blocking-b2g: 1.4? → ---

Updated

4 years ago
Target Milestone: 1.3 Sprint 5 - 11/22 → ---

Comment 18

4 years ago
Put this bug into backlog.
blocking-b2g: --- → backlog

Updated

4 years ago
Blocks: 994463
Target Milestone: --- → 2.0 S2 (23may)
Whiteboard: [Blocked by devices] → [Blocked by devices][priority]

Updated

4 years ago
Depends on: 1003011

Updated

4 years ago
No longer blocks: 994463

Updated

4 years ago
Blocks: 959978

Updated

4 years ago
Whiteboard: [Blocked by devices][priority]
Target Milestone: 2.0 S2 (23may) → ---
blocking-b2g: backlog → -

Comment 19

2 years ago
Unassigning myself as I am no longer working on this.
Assignee: echen → nobody

Comment 20

4 months ago
Firefox OS is not being worked on
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 4 months ago
Resolution: --- → WONTFIX
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.