I think these are mostly regressions from bug 1594392 but the cards themselves using headings was missed when we changed the other cards to use headings.
(In reply to Marco Zehe (:MarcoZ) from comment #0)
Problems with the "Search addons.mozilla.org" label
The virtual buffer does not show the text label or search button of the search field. Screen readers speak it only when tabbing to it because of the place holder, and when in focus mode. There is a label which also has a for attribute pointing to the search field, but the label has no text. The only thing that labels the field is the place holder which disappears as one starts typing.
The most clean solution would be to transfer that label to the actual label tag. That way, it would always stay visible, improving the experience for people with cognitive disabilities.
The Extensions and Themes tabs have a label for the search box: "Find more extensions" and "Find more themes" respectively. Do you think adding a "Find more add-ons" label on all the other pages would help here? I'd also be okay with having the placeholder as the label, I'd just want to check with product before we change the strings on Extensions and Themes if those cases are okay.
Problems with the More Options menu button
- The More Options button next to the "Personalize your Nightly" heading is unlabeled.
- The menu that this button opens works, but pressing Escape does not restore focus to the button when the menu closes. A similar technique should be used to manage focus as in one part of bug 1567600 for the add-ons list.
I wonder if 2. is platform specific, it works for me on Mac when closing the menu either with Escape or pressing Space/Enter on one of the items in the list. I changed how this worked in the header patch, so that if the menu was opened with the keyboard it would refocus the button that opened it when it was closed. I'll make sure we have a test for this.
The different add-on tiles should be headings, so users can easily navigate to them
Similar techniques as in bug 567600 for the add-on tiles on the Extensions page should be employed. I realize that these branch out to AMO, which is a different team, but the front-end bits should be made more accessible here and possibly mirror the experience from the Extensions tab, for consistency.
These are part of Firefox, similar to the cards on the list/details views, but have a different template that was missed in bug 1567600.