Last Comment Bug 163468 - Java applets don't get key events
: Java applets don't get key events
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
:
Product: Camino Graveyard
Classification: Graveyard
Component: Plug-ins (show other bugs)
: unspecified
: PowerPC Mac OS X
: P1 blocker with 19 votes (vote)
: Camino1.0
Assigned To: Simon Fraser
: Chris Petersen
Mentors:
http://www.lohn1.de/lobn.htm
: 166653 169381 171450 173202 173802 175457 177380 181207 182582 186165 193895 212914 270203 288562 (view as bug list)
Depends on: 301076
Blocks: 145806 147975 224615
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2002-08-19 07:05 PDT by Boris Bammel
Modified: 2005-07-30 17:13 PDT (History)
28 users (show)
See Also:
QA Whiteboard:
Iteration: ---
Points: ---


Attachments
tour (44.35 KB, image/jpeg)
2004-09-01 17:14 PDT, heather gilmour
no flags Details

Description Boris Bammel 2002-08-19 07:05:16 PDT
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en-US; rv:1.0.0) Gecko/20020818
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en-US; rv:1.0.0) Gecko/20020818

When I try to write text into the textfields on this page, nothing happens. I
even cannot mark the text, that is already in the fields.

Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Go to www.lohn1.de/lobn.htm
2. Try to mark the text in the textfields.
3. Try to write anything into the textfields.

Actual Results:  
Nothing.

Expected Results:  
Show the typed text.
Comment 1 Tuukka Tolvanen (sp3000) 2002-08-19 07:19:46 PDT
Reporter, are you referring to the html form in the lower left of the page, or
the java applet on the right, or both? fwiw both work for me in mozilla (trunk
cvs 2002-08-19)
Comment 2 Boris Bammel 2002-08-19 07:27:53 PDT
I mean the java applet. The HTML form works for me. And I do not use Mozilla,
but Chimera.
Comment 3 Tuukka Tolvanen (sp3000) 2002-08-19 07:43:55 PDT
->plugins
Comment 4 Tuukka Tolvanen (sp3000) 2002-08-19 07:44:31 PDT
.
Comment 5 Greg K. 2002-08-19 09:43:40 PDT
WorksForMe using Chimera/2002081605.
Comment 6 Boris Bammel 2002-08-19 10:33:10 PDT
Well, I'm using Chimera/2002081805. If you can tell, that it works there, then I
have to look for another solution.
Comment 7 Chris Petersen 2002-08-21 10:35:05 PDT
Using the Chimera 2002-08-21-05 NB, I can reproduce the problem when attempting
to type in the any of the text fields located in the applet. Checkboxes, radio
buttons, pull down menus all work in the applet though. Tested under OS X 10.1.5.
Comment 8 Brian Nesse (gone) 2002-09-18 11:00:32 PDT
*** Bug 166653 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 9 Brian Nesse (gone) 2002-09-18 11:00:52 PDT
*** Bug 169381 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 10 Chris Petersen 2002-09-29 09:56:31 PDT
*** Bug 171450 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 11 Pam 2002-09-29 15:37:00 PDT
I am using OSX 10.2  Jaguar and have these problems.....I really need to use these chat 
rooms........
Comment 12 Brian Nesse (gone) 2002-10-08 09:33:50 PDT
*** Bug 173202 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 13 Tim Rodriguez 2002-10-15 21:58:39 PDT
New York Times online crossword puzzles also are refusing text entry, with build
2002101504.  http://www.nytimes.com/pages/crosswords/index.html then click on
any of the main puzzle links.
Comment 14 Jørgen Nørgaard 2002-10-22 07:51:18 PDT
On http://www.hwattmba.dk/password.htm is an applet login form (no, it is not
secure),
however, I cannot type in the text fields (typing does not appear).

Works in Mozilla 1.2b

Build ID: 2002102104
Comment 15 saari (gone) 2002-10-28 14:26:50 PST
->peterl
Comment 16 saari (gone) 2002-11-05 18:17:55 PST
another URL that seems to have this issue
https://www.cusa-hfs.com/cgi-bin/hfssvc/ppecu/hfs.html
Comment 17 Simon Fraser 2002-11-19 12:38:29 PST
*** Bug 175457 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 18 Simon Fraser 2002-11-25 19:20:48 PST
*** Bug 181207 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 19 Simon Fraser 2002-11-25 19:23:17 PST
I'm working with Apple on this issue. We're doing all the right things in the
MRJPlugin, but the Apple JavaControl doesn't like the Carbon Events we send it,
for some reason.
Comment 20 Chris Petersen 2002-11-28 21:21:25 PST
*** Bug 182582 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 21 Daniel Dickison 2002-12-03 11:08:50 PST
mouseDragged events are also broken -- they only fire once when the drag is
started.  Here's an example: http://www.pubbawup.net/dand/home/programs/whiteboard/
This applet works with Omni and IE.

Daniel
Comment 22 Simon Fraser 2002-12-04 11:43:06 PST
Blocker for some people.
Comment 23 Winnie Lam 2002-12-13 13:47:34 PST
I take it that we're still waiting for feedback from Apple on this.  Could we
ping them again to follow up?
Comment 24 Stephane Moureau 2002-12-19 09:32:15 PST
*** Bug 186165 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 25 Gabriel Bender 2002-12-21 05:45:54 PST
In my test, applets received mouse events correctly in popup windows

(running OS X Jaguar (10.2.1) and the Chimera December 20 nightly build).

For a test case, go to http://www.jars.com/jars_search.html
Comment 26 Simon Fraser 2002-12-23 09:31:43 PST
That's probably a Swing applet. Key events do work in Swing, probably because it
uses some native controls.
Comment 27 Bernd 2002-12-29 11:16:30 PST
I visited http://www.jars.com/jars_search.html (in a new tab), opened
java-search, typed in a text and closed the search (without searching). after
reopening the java-search again, I couldn't change the text, I couldn't close
the tab, I had to restart chimera (Build 2002122804).
Comment 28 Simon Fraser 2003-01-01 19:30:07 PST
*** Bug 177380 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 29 Simon Fraser 2003-01-01 20:44:01 PST
*** Bug 173802 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 30 William Olliff 2003-01-03 05:32:49 PST
Would you please ping Apple again, this is a blocker for me.  I need to use
GoToMyPC for work.  Every other Mac browser works!
Comment 31 Paul Libbrecht 2003-01-10 01:01:11 PST
That bug is the only one that makes Chimera not recommandable for our ActiveMath
learning environment. On Macs, it means, the normal Mozilla is the only
choice... very very sad.

Paul
Comment 32 Gabriel Bender 2003-01-10 14:38:07 PST
With the development of Apple's Safari web browser (www.apple.com/safari), I
seriously doubt that we're going to get any response at all from Apple.
Comment 33 Simon Fraser 2003-01-10 15:13:49 PST
> With the development of Apple's Safari web browser (www.apple.com/safari), I
> seriously doubt that we're going to get any response at all from Apple.

That is not at all the case. I'm still in communication with Apple over this
issue. In addition, Safari shares a number of Java bugs with Chimera.
Comment 34 robbie_usenet 2003-01-25 04:22:01 PST
You may want to check out Apple's DP9, just in case it includes any new plugins.
Not, of course, that I can say whether it does or not, being under NDA.
Comment 35 Paul Libbrecht 2003-01-25 05:54:08 PST
Oh, that's true, although it wouldn't work before 1.4 is delivered...Two comments:-> the AWT of the Java 1.4.1 for OSX draws in Cocoa, I presume this should help Chimera-> Chimera would be the first that would be compatible with this plugin...Paul
Comment 36 robbie_usenet 2003-01-26 05:41:02 PST
On the other hand, JDK 1.4.1 requires 10.2
It would be a real shame to tie Chimera needlessly to 10.2, since the fact that
it works in 10.1 is a real distinguishing feature from Safari at the moment.
Comment 37 Michele Bugliaro 2003-01-26 06:37:22 PST
Hi Robbie,
10.2 is so much better than any previous OS X versions that I'd never go back. I
understand what you say, but I'd also not stick with too old systems when the
one we've today is better. We gotta move forward!
Comment 38 Paul Libbrecht 2003-01-26 13:14:11 PST
True, for those unix geeks bound to ypbind, there's no choice except refusing 10.2... but 
honestly it should be worth attempting, possibly as an option.
Paul
Comment 39 Simon Fraser 2003-01-27 11:21:32 PST
Let's clarify matters here:
1. We don't use apple's plugin, we use our own (MRJ) since theirs doesn't do
   LiveConnect.
2. We can't use the 1.4VM because the embedding APIs have changed.
3. We need to continue to run on 10.1

so we just have to get a fix for the current issue.
Comment 40 Paul Libbrecht 2003-01-27 12:19:44 PST
Now, no-one can be against a bug-fix.However I do believe there are good hopes, hence bug 190830 has been filed.
Comment 41 S Woodside 2003-02-27 15:16:30 PST
Perhaps it would be possible to make a runtime check for 10.2, and if it's
found, don't load the MRJPlugin. That would allow the Apple plugin to take over,
since it's known to work OK, that fixes this bug on 10.2. On 10.1 people will
still be able to use java applets, without key events until this bug is fixed.
Comment 42 robbie_usenet 2003-03-12 08:25:27 PST
Time to ping Apple again?
Can they still help, since Safari is using a different plug-in?
Comment 43 Pam 2003-03-23 13:27:20 PST
I don't understand why you would stay wit 10.1.....although some of you say the java scripts worked for you...they certainly didn't for me.....however Safari works with these issues....has a few other little quirks...but at least I can use my chat windows properly with it.
Comment 44 Janus 2003-04-14 01:56:10 PDT
I have to say that it is still broken for Java 1.4.1.

However, it accepts Key input sometimes.  Of course, 9 out of 10 doesn't.
It affects more than text field and combo box.
Java games  that utilize keyboard input fail as well. :(

However, Mozilla and Phoenix work.  Could Camino share the code from them?
Comment 45 david toub 2003-06-04 09:21:33 PDT
It would seem that nothing has progressed for this bug since late March. Any
thoughts as to when typing into Java applets will work for Camino? They do for
Firebird and Safari, interestingly.
Comment 46 Paul Libbrecht 2003-06-04 11:55:38 PDT
Except Safari doesn't do the java-javascript connection...

Paul
Comment 47 Vincent Nicolas 2003-06-07 05:41:37 PDT
I personlly have no Java at all in both nightly builds of Camino and last
Mozilla 1.4rc1. I have MacOs X 10.2.6 and Java 1.4.1 installed.
Java used to work in Camino 0.7 and Mozilla < 1.3 if I remember well (until
Mozilla was build as MachO I guess).

If I am not the only case like this, it may be a 1.4 blocker ?
Comment 48 Albert R. 2003-07-03 12:43:11 PDT
I don't think anyone's mentioned this yet, but when I try to provide some key
input into a java applet, nothing is typed into the applet but instead
type-ahead find receives the key input.  This can be seen in the status bar.

Here's a link to the applet I was testing on.
http://www.shodor.org/interactivate/activities/piechart/index.html
Comment 49 Ludovic Hirlimann [:Usul] 2003-09-01 09:32:28 PDT
Still true with 2003090102 on 10.2.6
Comment 50 Ludovic Hirlimann [:Usul] 2003-09-09 11:52:23 PDT
I've upgraded my Java engine with the lastest release from a few days ago.
Problem still occurs ...
Comment 51 James Anthony 2003-09-28 09:25:31 PDT
*** Bug 212914 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 52 James Anthony 2003-09-28 09:26:41 PDT
*** Bug 193895 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 53 S Woodside 2004-01-17 23:40:51 PST
sfraser: what code would you look at for this bug? Is there a standard plugins
API or is it java specific? Once we dump 10.1 support how will this change?
Comment 54 Simon Fraser 2004-01-28 11:44:58 PST
This is Apple's bug, not ours. There's nothing we can do to fix it.
Comment 55 S Woodside 2004-01-28 20:33:14 PST
ok. you wrote in comment 39:
> 1. We don't use apple's plugin, we use our own (MRJ) since theirs doesn't do
>    LiveConnect.

I think that key events are more important than LiveConnect

> 2. We can't use the 1.4VM because the embedding APIs have changed.

explain?

> 3. We need to continue to run on 10.1

so we can switch after 0.8
Comment 56 S Woodside 2004-01-28 20:43:43 PST
sfraser wrote:
> I'm working with Apple on this issue. We're doing all the right things in the
> MRJPlugin, but the Apple JavaControl doesn't like the Carbon Events we send it,
> for some reason.

So we have a plugin that runs on top of MRJ. MRJ's JavaControl has some kind of
bug where the carbon events for key events are being processed correctly.

Thoughts:
a. Apple's not doing any more work on MRJ I doubt.
b. If mozilla ALSO runs MRJPlugin on top of MRJ (and it works) ... then what's
different in Camino? Is this something to do with QuickDrawView ?
c. How hard would it be to port MRJPlugin to Apple's Java 1.4 ?
Comment 57 Simon Fraser 2004-01-29 10:47:15 PST
> sfraser wrote:
> > I'm working with Apple on this issue. We're doing all the right
> > things in the MRJPlugin, but the Apple JavaControl doesn't like
> > the Carbon Events we send it, for some reason.
> 
> So we have a plugin that runs on top of MRJ. MRJ's JavaControl has
> some kind of bug where the carbon events for key events are being
> processed correctly.

MRJ is "ours" (i.e. was developed at Netscape). It uses the Java Control
embedding APIs in Apple's 1.3 version of the JVM, which allow third parties
to embed Java in Carbon apps using a ControlRef-based API. Those APIs are
no longer present in Java 1.4. When I've asked how to embed a Java applet
in your own app, the only answer I've had back is to do it via WebKit.

MRJ supports LiveConnect (the Java-J avaScript bridge). Apple's Java plugin
does not.

I belive that the key handling issues were reproducible in both our MRJ plugin,
and the Apple plugin.

> Thoughts: a. Apple's not doing any more work on MRJ I doubt. b. If
> mozilla ALSO runs MRJPlugin on top of MRJ (and it works) ... then
> what's different in Camino? Is this something to do with
> QuickDrawView ? c. How hard would it be to port MRJPlugin to
> Apple's Java 1.4 ?

Hard, as I mentioned above. There appears to be no way to embed Java in another
app other than to use WebKit. I don't belive there's even an NSView-based solution.
Comment 58 Joel Craig 2004-01-29 10:55:19 PST
/me trying not to sound completely ignorant

Simon, would someone at Sun possibly be of more help here, or is this completely
Apple due to Camino being written in Cocoa?
Comment 59 Simon Fraser 2004-01-29 10:58:48 PST
This is all Apple-level stuff.
Comment 60 Paul Libbrecht 2004-01-29 11:53:26 PST
Just in case, allow me to point out that MRJplugin used to be precious because
it was the only Applet environment on Macintosh that ever supported LiveConnect...

But LiveConnect isn't supported by the plugin anymore. At least since the move
to Mach-O...
Comment 61 S Woodside 2004-01-29 12:23:41 PST
bug 164712 it would seem indicates that LiveConnect is NOT working in Mozilla.
Comment 62 Simon Fraser 2004-01-29 12:33:49 PST
Correct. LiveConnect broke when we changed from CFM to Mach-O, because for
plugins to be XPCOM-scriptable, they have to have the same ABI as the host (i.e.
the plugin has to be Mach-O too). That's bug 97613. That one at least is
fixable, and that would get LiveConnect working in Mozilla builds (but you'd
still have key event issues in Camino). However, that was never completed
because Apple said that they were going to implement LiveConnect in their
plugin, which never happened. We were trying hard to push off MRJ support to
Apple, but now everyone has dropped the ball.

It's just a nasty mess, and I don't want to be on the receiving end, so reassigning.
Comment 63 Paul Libbrecht 2004-01-29 13:07:50 PST
I presume I shall not be the first to state such a thing but this state of
things means, for our projects, MacOS is dropped for advanced features of our
ActiveMath learning environment.
Comment 64 Paul Libbrecht 2004-01-29 15:03:10 PST
No, but it was, and I can promise you it was an agreable moment for me.
Try Mozilla 1.2 or 1.3 and you'll see an applet with working LiveConnect.

paul
Comment 65 S Woodside 2004-01-29 19:16:39 PST
Maybe we could use WebKit somehow...
Comment 66 Greg K. 2004-08-08 23:03:58 PDT
The testcase URL appears to work with the JEP being developed on bug 197813, so
adding dependency.
Comment 67 heather gilmour 2004-09-01 17:14:12 PDT
Created attachment 157667 [details]
tour
Comment 68 Jasper 2004-12-01 06:41:40 PST
Using Camino 20041130 NB on 10.3.6 and the java embed plugin this page works
correctly. It take key strokes and displays the text as I type. 

Only issue I see is that when a key is pressed the java app repaints which is
very annoying.
Comment 69 Kurt Weinschenker 2005-02-22 18:40:36 PST
Tried today's Java security update for Mac OS 10.3 on the site indicated in
comment #48.

The odd thing is that the applet slider works fine under Mac OS 10.3.8, but I
cannot type any input into the textboxes using Camino nightly build 2005022208.
 I'm not getting type-ahead find at all.  I'm getting zero text input.

So this bug is still here, and it looks like it will be here for some time.
Comment 70 Simon Fraser 2005-02-22 18:49:38 PST
Try the Java Embedding plugin:
<http://javaplugin.sourceforge.net/>

This will likely be our Java plugin solution at some point.
Comment 71 Kurt Weinschenker 2005-02-22 18:55:08 PST
I just did, Simon.

You're right!  It works!

Freaky.  Sorry for the spam, folks.
Comment 72 Josh Aas 2005-03-05 19:07:16 PST
*** Bug 270203 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 73 David Munch 2005-03-09 13:30:01 PST
I can write in java-textfields now too, with the plugin. (Still cant login with
my home-banking, but thats a whole other issue probably due to my ****-ass-bank..)
Comment 74 L. H. 2005-03-31 20:00:32 PST
*** Bug 288562 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 75 Oscar van Vliet 2005-04-01 01:38:02 PST
Has anyone contacted Steven Michaud on distributing his plugin with Camino?
I know he wanted to go several weeks without bug reports before releasing it to
the general audience. 

Now he hasn't had new reports for over 30 days, but there are a few outstanding
bugs. None of these seem to detract from the improvement over the standard Java
support (to me, at least), so I'd say: go for it. But it is Steven's call.

Comment 76 Warren TenBrook 2005-04-01 07:17:08 PST
Packaging the java embedding plug-in seems like a no-brainer, since it is
demonstrably better than Camino's current java, but pink needs to decide if the
timing is right, or release 0.9 first.  Including the JEP in Camino by default
might be JEP's largest distribution channel, and could bring a lot of bugs out
the the woodwork prior to 0.9.
Comment 77 Simon Fraser 2005-04-01 09:00:53 PST
We are working with Steven. Stay tuned.
Comment 78 Smokey Ardisson (offline for a while; not following bugs - do not email) 2005-07-30 17:13:56 PDT
Fixed by bundling the Java Embedding Plugin with Camino (nightly builds 20050729
and later), bug 301076.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.