Closed Bug 1039006 (enable-css-ruby) Opened 6 years ago Closed 5 years ago

Enable the preference for CSS Ruby (layout.css.ruby.enabled) by default

Categories

(Core :: Layout, defect)

defect
Not set

Tracking

()

RESOLVED FIXED
mozilla38
Tracking Status
firefox38 --- fixed

People

(Reporter: sgbowen8, Assigned: xidorn)

References

(Blocks 2 open bugs)

Details

(Keywords: dev-doc-complete)

Attachments

(1 file)

Whenever it's "safe," we'll need to enable the pref which is blocking off the ruby changes from non-debug builds.
(adding dependency on bug 1021952, since that's where we're creating the pref ("layout.css.ruby.enabled"))
Depends on: 1021952
Summary: Enable the about:config for CSS Ruby by default → Enable the about:config for CSS Ruby (layout.css.ruby.enabled) by default
Summary: Enable the about:config for CSS Ruby (layout.css.ruby.enabled) by default → Enable the about:config pref for CSS Ruby (layout.css.ruby.enabled) by default
Depends on: 1039009
Summary: Enable the about:config pref for CSS Ruby (layout.css.ruby.enabled) by default → Enable the preference for CSS Ruby (layout.css.ruby.enabled) by default
Depends on: 1039017
Depends on: 1041711
Depends on: 1052123
Depends on: 1052924
Depends on: 1081770
Depends on: 1083004
Depends on: 1084183
Depends on: ruby-align
No longer depends on: 1083004
Depends on: 1088489
Depends on: 1089431
Depends on: 1087872
Depends on: 1098257
Depends on: 1098272
No longer depends on: 1041711
Depends on: 1099807
Depends on: 1103696
No longer depends on: 1098257
Depends on: 1098257
Depends on: 1108429
No longer depends on: ruby-align
Depends on: 1111463
Depends on: 1116631
Depends on: 1116635
Depends on: 1116688
Attached patch patchSplinter Review
Depends on: 1117597
Depends on: 1115262
No longer depends on: 1089431
Depends on: 1123917
Depends on: 1089431
Depends on: 1132008
No longer depends on: 1055662
Comment on attachment 8543692 [details] [diff] [review]
patch

With the expection that the only current blocker bug 1132008 will land m-c, I guess it is time to turn on this pref now.
Attachment #8543692 - Flags: review?(dbaron)
Wow, don't you enable CSS ruby only on non-release build first for getting more feedback from our testers?
Depends on: 1133697
(In reply to Masayuki Nakano (:masayuki) (Mozilla Japan) from comment #4)
> Wow, don't you enable CSS ruby only on non-release build first for getting
> more feedback from our testers?

As I understand it, that's exactly the plan here. This bug is on enabling the pref on mozilla-central / nightly, and letting that ride the trains. I don't think anyone's suggested flipping this on in official release builds right away.

(Maybe I'm misunderstanding your concern, though?)
Comment on attachment 8543692 [details] [diff] [review]
patch

r=dbaron

Please write a blog post soliciting testing and feedback.

One other thing I noticed, though:  many of the reftests should probably be contributed to the W3C's test suite.  The easiest way to do that is to move them to layout/reftests/w3c-css/submitted/ruby/ and add the appropriate metadata.  Could you do that as well?
Attachment #8543692 - Flags: review?(dbaron) → review+
(In reply to Daniel Holbert [:dholbert] from comment #5)
> (In reply to Masayuki Nakano (:masayuki) (Mozilla Japan) from comment #4)
> > Wow, don't you enable CSS ruby only on non-release build first for getting
> > more feedback from our testers?
> 
> As I understand it, that's exactly the plan here. This bug is on enabling
> the pref on mozilla-central / nightly, and letting that ride the trains. I
> don't think anyone's suggested flipping this on in official release builds
> right away.
> 
> (Maybe I'm misunderstanding your concern, though?)

I was thinking that using #ifdef RELEASE_BUILD for a while because m-c will be merged next week. So, actually, it's not enough tested by Nightly users.
(In reply to David Baron [:dbaron] (UTC+13) (needinfo? for questions) from comment #6)
> Comment on attachment 8543692 [details] [diff] [review]
> patch
> 
> r=dbaron
> 
> Please write a blog post soliciting testing and feedback.
> 
> One other thing I noticed, though:  many of the reftests should probably be
> contributed to the W3C's test suite.  The easiest way to do that is to move
> them to layout/reftests/w3c-css/submitted/ruby/ and add the appropriate
> metadata.  Could you do that as well?

Yes, I'll do this in a separate bug 1134069.
(In reply to Masayuki Nakano (:masayuki) (Mozilla Japan) from comment #7)
> (In reply to Daniel Holbert [:dholbert] from comment #5)
> > (In reply to Masayuki Nakano (:masayuki) (Mozilla Japan) from comment #4)
> > > Wow, don't you enable CSS ruby only on non-release build first for getting
> > > more feedback from our testers?
> > 
> > As I understand it, that's exactly the plan here. This bug is on enabling
> > the pref on mozilla-central / nightly, and letting that ride the trains. I
> > don't think anyone's suggested flipping this on in official release builds
> > right away.
> > 
> > (Maybe I'm misunderstanding your concern, though?)
> 
> I was thinking that using #ifdef RELEASE_BUILD for a while because m-c will
> be merged next week. So, actually, it's not enough tested by Nightly users.

I just discussed this with dbaron, and he thought it's fine to just ship this and let it ride the train, because we can always turn off it anytime when something serious happens.
https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/587cfd4385b7
Assignee: nobody → quanxunzhen
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 5 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Target Milestone: --- → mozilla38
Blocks: css3test
Depends on: 1135432
Depends on: 1135534
GJ! This increased our BrowserMark 2.1 score on CSS 2.1 conformity from 53% to 54%:

[url]http://arewefastyet.com/#machine=30&view=single&suite=browsermark&subtest=Conformity CSS 2.1&start=1423040036&end=1424679226[/url]
Blocks: 1202940
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.