Bug 1167252 (perf-40-uplifts)

[meta] Perf Tools bugs that need uplift for 40 spring release

RESOLVED FIXED in Firefox 40

Status

defect
RESOLVED FIXED
4 years ago
9 months ago

People

(Reporter: bgrins, Unassigned)

Tracking

({meta})

40 Branch
Firefox 40
Points:
---

Firefox Tracking Flags

(relnote-firefox 40+)

Details

Attachments

(1 attachment)

Tracking bugs that need uplift for 40.1
Alias: perf-40 → perf-40-uplifts
My steps for generating a commit list and coming up with an Aurora try build:

Copy and paste the Depends On list from this bug '(desc("Bug 1") | desc("Bug 2"))' etc.
Run that as a query with hg log --template 'http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/{node}\n' -r 'sort(STRING, date)'

So for the current bug list, it looks something like this:

hg log --template 'http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/{node}\n' -r 'sort((desc("Bug 1058898") | desc("Bug 1146239") | desc("Bug 1150761") | desc("Bug 1162662") | desc("Bug 1164552") | desc("Bug 1166494") | desc("Bug 1090950") | desc("Bug 1143004") | desc("Bug 1144034") | desc("Bug 1147693") | desc("Bug 1149626") | desc("Bug 1151973") | desc("Bug 1152631") | desc("Bug 1154115") | desc("Bug 1157916") | desc("Bug 1160313") | desc("Bug 1160521") | desc("Bug 1160691") | desc("Bug 1160696") | desc("Bug 1160811") | desc("Bug 1162583") | desc("Bug 1163384") | desc("Bug 1164130") | desc("Bug 1164131") | desc("Bug 1164281") | desc("Bug 1164338") | desc("Bug 1164593") | desc("Bug 1164598") | desc("Bug 1165045") | desc("Bug 1165504") | desc("Bug 1165885") | desc("Bug 1166029") | desc("Bug 1166122") | desc("Bug 1166124") | desc("Bug 1166139") | desc("Bug 1166559") | desc("Bug 1166823")), date)'

This prints a list like:

http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/496721d6297322cfc94b3188588f670cd373fd25
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/922e304672bf4fdbf49c9356fca45c7f725002b6
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/1981440629bccd8af66148110b6ef345b8d56085
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/914dda9f4a1a6202ff44458b39d080cbf9453fb7
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/cb4b66d730b3f517f786af925f36b84d78c3672d
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/ea1f7a05bd3205e41129bf4c1dd3f7e62248943f
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/0049538641a2aac08175474834c2978b18c8a5f6
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/78b5f6585c910dff5e280bb80f89cf32756dc30b
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/f98738059b8e477f9d884b66b02d60334330bf1d
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/4756cdcc1f2fc28cc1ae14596d9baaf41675353b
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/dfd0d6a420c5c2ea5c968ac228522d3331cfae4b
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/96474bfa4c6114b627c19d2cd29505fc364bba3f
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/323f7903341d9a78f8fa2b6d316fafd7375b25cc
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/bcb0b13c4def4cb9546796a47e9850f6d6cf53fe
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/32ad078a4b5f86feb2f513aca171f0deea11dc3e
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/7f901174dd4489dc7cc8165c6c9bc9bdfe6d0bd9
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/43efa0312b656b9e8bebf199c6f02f2ede8d46f0
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/b40c5eb3c978cc17854418886119dad7687d1257
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/076cab9235a53f91d46aa68f7f0fd7f200df9802
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/efa0dda1fa8803257d1aa44e9c8209f3f41a622e
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/d20045f6280bba9e8f3d10b26a77ec2b586b07cb
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/409ba1c33f1ebee50f1bc2c7f587c4160becda90
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/df12d9cbd92150e7885ec84d98a95b84d215bf33
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/06ced37f6c2bea0bcd359a534291a75f8e1d4947
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/6fa0256518e3c2d3b2d507a7e1ae2da1e85d288c
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/39b771cd88ec44361e6ff2ac41333f30d75b82cf
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/6f384226a55865955f1cd737517ade9901204e1b
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/820337cf32ebe59943fb2918fcc03f90625444d6
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/e8679898fa3aef193ca8ea8a6cd55caff6aa1196
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/c4477d31401cfa221439e39170f25759f0c9262f
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/0787f6ae2337b810f30579dfed919df063793035
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/e650970b34d3cfbaa5628494ecd157330e9b8325
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/687eb2f66e38aa2571edba742b47fc6e60744192
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/ad0ab9f214d0d20bf38f442a4713a42e84f015e5
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/5404dd0fda63c83706bc6ffe2fdc9d44805973d6
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/2041288ab44193c7bd962679fca5793715ec48a7
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/24f5da1e10f0802b31e8d74eeba42c55818dfc58
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/10fc07861f4ce67bdf85fc03adcec67356e3a9b3
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/06195e726585823eb44593c10c6054118d32aeaf
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/8803f388005c8ec86307b657f44743b6c7e6cd7c
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/fae02c56ffc587f99d90b024bbe8174a8176e3a5
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/bf9deffdf40b0364260d862adca00db353c1ab35
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-rev/76ba2ef6bdc897bab913dfb366e46b86dbf12526

These can be qimported into an aurora repo.  Had to handle a couple of conflicts manually but things seemed to apply pretty cleanly.  Will see if that works alright and send a try push
(In reply to Brian Grinstead [:bgrins] from comment #1)

Dose hg skills tho.
Hi Lawrence,
We have a number of bugs for the DevTools performance tool that we need to get into 40.1 for the June 2 release.  I've tracked them down and marked them as blocking this bug.  It looks like maybe 40-50 changesets, basically the work that's been done on this tool since the last merge day (sorry).

It seems like it's going to be complicated and time consuming to go through and do aurora approval requests and pushes on each patch separately, since they need to land in a certain order to limit conflicts (ideally the order they landed on m-c).  I have a preliminary patch queue in this order on top of Aurora in Comment 2.  How would you recommend we proceed?
Flags: needinfo?(lmandel)
Depends on: 1167961
Depends on: 1167962
Depends on: 1167963
Depends on: 1167967
Depends on: 1167975
Over to Sylvestre, who is managing 40. See comment 4.
Flags: needinfo?(lmandel) → needinfo?(sledru)
(In reply to Brian Grinstead [:bgrins] from comment #4)
> We have a number of bugs for the DevTools performance tool that we need to
> get into 40.1 for the June 2 release.  I've tracked them down and marked
> them as blocking this bug.  It looks like maybe 40-50 changesets, basically
> the work that's been done on this tool since the last merge day (sorry).
Looks like a big project! Could you share what kind of QA you have done on this?
Have all the bugs you want to uplift been verified?
Thanks
Flags: needinfo?(sledru)
Flags: needinfo?(bgrinstead)
(In reply to Sylvestre Ledru [:sylvestre] from comment #6)
> (In reply to Brian Grinstead [:bgrins] from comment #4)
> > We have a number of bugs for the DevTools performance tool that we need to
> > get into 40.1 for the June 2 release.  I've tracked them down and marked
> > them as blocking this bug.  It looks like maybe 40-50 changesets, basically
> > the work that's been done on this tool since the last merge day (sorry).
> Looks like a big project! Could you share what kind of QA you have done on
> this?
> Have all the bugs you want to uplift been verified?
> Thanks

No, the bugs have not all been individually verified.  I believe that the developer evangelism team has been using the latest nightlies to test it out and make product videos of it for the 40.1 release (ccing Jeff and Axel who probably know more about that).

With regard to it being a big project - it is, although we are currently shipping this tool in Developer Edition (with a few things hidden).  We'd like to basically uplift the last 2 weeks of patches for this tool to bring it in sync with Nightly.  Maybe we could build a patch queue on top of Aurora and then send that build off for further testing?  Just let me know what I can do.
Flags: needinfo?(bgrinstead) → needinfo?(sledru)
Could you flag some important bugs so that QE verifies it in nightly? Once it is done, we will be more confident for an uplift.

About the uplift itself, we will need to see the list of bugs, nominate every bug for uplift (I know it is a pain) and please fill the uplift form for every one (copy and paste is fine).

In the meantime, as you are proposing, having a patch with all the changes pushed to try would help.
Flags: needinfo?(sledru)
> make product videos of it for the 40.1 release
Is it really a hard requirement for this "release"?
Release Note Request (optional, but appreciated)
[Why is this notable]: New devtool feature
[Suggested wording]: Performance tools in the developer tools
[Links (documentation, blog post, etc)]: I guess we will have some blog posts.
relnote-firefox: --- → ?
(In reply to Sylvestre Ledru [:sylvestre] from comment #9)
> > make product videos of it for the 40.1 release
> Is it really a hard requirement for this "release"?

Yes, it's the biggest part of the release
Summary: [meta] Perf Tools bugs that need uplift for 40.1 → [meta] Perf Tools bugs that need uplift for 40 spring release
(In reply to Sylvestre Ledru [:sylvestre] from comment #9)
> > make product videos of it for the 40.1 release
> Is it really a hard requirement for this "release"?

This is the biggest part of the release - this is a very hard requirement.
No longer depends on: 1167351
No longer depends on: 1167897
No longer depends on: 1167319
No longer depends on: 1147143
(In reply to Sylvestre Ledru [:sylvestre] from comment #8)
> Could you flag some important bugs so that QE verifies it in nightly? Once
> it is done, we will be more confident for an uplift.

Nick and Gabriel just went through the entire blocking list here and flagged anything that could use verification with qe-verify+ and anything that doesn't need it with qe-verify-.
Looks like nothing can even build on try... :\

Added 3 more outstanding bugs to this blocker; up to you if they should be done with this changeset or in the future individually, in order of importance:

* bug 1050500 - will throw errors unless uplifted when selecting some markers
* bug 1167230 - (not yet finished) required for working with fennec/b2g, shu's on it
* bug 1152421 - many performance improvements with the waterfall view and marker folding

Let me know what else you need on my end!
Brian, it would be great if we could have the 40 try build working today and the uplift requests.
Thanks
Flags: needinfo?(bgrinstead)
I don't know if this helps yet, but I've updated my aurora repo and applied bgrin's pushlog patch series (comment 14) locally and built, everything went fine. 
So I'm now looking at the logs on that try build to see why it failed there.
All failures on that try push are mozharness related, after talking with Tomcat, I learned that RyanVM has pushed a change to mozharness no later than 2 hours ago: https://treeherder.mozilla.org/#/jobs?repo=mozilla-aurora&revision=7083715e204c
So we should definitely push this patch series to TRY again now, see if it works now with this change.
Unfortunately TRY is closed right now ...
It's not just TRY that's closed, aurora too, RyanVM told me he's working on it right now and has a potential fix.
Alright, apparently aurora tip should now work on try, and try has re-opened, so: https://treeherder.mozilla.org/#/jobs?repo=try&revision=d8eceb4500bd
(In reply to Sylvestre Ledru [:sylvestre] from comment #16)
> Brian, it would be great if we could have the 40 try build working today and
> the uplift requests.
> Thanks

Alright, Patrick has a try push in Comment 20 and I will do the uplift requests today
Flags: needinfo?(bgrinstead)
Bug 1163384 is already on aurora, removing from list
No longer depends on: 1163384
Updated try push after adding the patch from bug 1050500 and removing the one from 1163384: https://treeherder.mozilla.org/#/jobs?repo=try&revision=e2174fa63e74
Depends on: 1168125
Depends on: 1158982
Depends on: 1166797
I've had verbal approval from Sylvestre to push the patches to aurora once we have a green try.  While that's running, I'm doing some extra testing.  Going to upload the current patch queue just for future reference
Current patch queue for bugs that have pending approval requests
Depends on: 1169120
Depends on: 1169132
Depends on: 1161817
No longer depends on: 1167337
No longer depends on: 1166797
Depends on: 1169436
Depends on: 1169438
Depends on: 1169444
Sylvestre, luckily the hardest and most complicated part is done (thanks for the help btw), but I'd like to see if we could do one more round of uplifts before the release.

I've got a query for bugs that are blocking this one but haven't yet been fixed on 41: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?f1=blocked&o1=equals&resolution=---&resolution=FIXED&resolution=INVALID&resolution=WONTFIX&resolution=DUPLICATE&resolution=WORKSFORME&resolution=INCOMPLETE&resolution=SUPPORT&resolution=EXPIRED&resolution=MOVED&o2=notequals&query_format=advanced&f2=cf_status_firefox40&v1=1167252&v2=fixed&list_id=12285787.

These are generally stability and polish items, and I've got an initial try push here: https://treeherder.mozilla.org/#/jobs?repo=try&revision=22eaf8e23b0b.  I will go through the list again to see if we can omit any of them.  Can we proceed with this?  Shall I go through and do uplift requests for the ones that we'd like  to go?  Ideally we could land them before or during the weekend so we don't have to try and land stuff immediately before the release.
Flags: needinfo?(sledru)
Brian, that makes sense. However, we cannot take any risk now. Please submit only patches which has only super low risk (css only, this kind of change).
I understand you want it to be as perfect as possible but we cannot take the chance of important regressions on the Friday before the "release".
For example, I don't think bug 1168125 is necessary (ok, it might be a dependency of another bug)
Flags: needinfo?(sledru)
(In reply to Sylvestre Ledru [:sylvestre] from comment #30)

All the patches are very low risk. Bug 1168125 is indeed only a dependency for an ulterior bug, and the only anomaly. Everything else is very well tested already and baked in fx-team.
(In reply to Sylvestre Ledru [:sylvestre] from comment #30)

With the risk of beating a dead horse, the current situation is no different than landing something on a "Friday before the uplift", when Nightly becomes Aurora. If we can do that without any hassle, then why would that be unreasonable now, given these special circumstances (having a 40.1 developer edition release)?
(In reply to Victor Porof [:vporof][:vp] from comment #32)
> With the risk of beating a dead horse, the current situation is no different
> than landing something on a "Friday before the uplift", when Nightly becomes
> Aurora.
Nightly is proposed to our users with a message that it is unstable and for testing only.
Dev Edition is proposed to web dev now and we, release manager, don't have the same expectation in term of quality. Here, we merged 40 in aurora a couple weeks ago.
With the performance tools, the devtools team is asking to bypass the workflow and skip the train. Therefor, the level of expectation is not the same as in nightly... Especially with all the marketing planned for next week.
(In reply to Victor Porof [:vporof][:vp] from comment #32)
> landing something on a "Friday before the uplift", when Nightly becomes Aurora
We have a week between the merge and the aurora updates. During this period, QE is doing a lot of verifications, we do take patches and rebuild to have the first aurora in the best shape as possible.
(In reply to Sylvestre Ledru [:sylvestre] from comment #30)
> Brian, that makes sense. However, we cannot take any risk now. Please submit
> only patches which has only super low risk (css only, this kind of change).

Alright, I've done uplift requests for things that are low risk bug fixes and styling changes.  See Bug 1146237, Bug 1158982, Bug 1169132, and Bug 1147143.  Here's a try push on Aurora with those patches applied: https://treeherder.mozilla.org/#/jobs?repo=try&revision=c6c6b85fe0da
(In reply to Brian Grinstead [:bgrins] from comment #35)
> (In reply to Sylvestre Ledru [:sylvestre] from comment #30)
> > Brian, that makes sense. However, we cannot take any risk now. Please submit
> > only patches which has only super low risk (css only, this kind of change).
> 
> Alright, I've done uplift requests for things that are low risk bug fixes
> and styling changes.  See Bug 1146237, Bug 1158982, Bug 1169132, and Bug
> 1147143.  Here's a try push on Aurora with those patches applied:
> https://treeherder.mozilla.org/#/jobs?repo=try&revision=c6c6b85fe0da

Please have a look at the requests whenever you get a chance, we'd like to push any changes ASAP so they have time to bake in Aurora over the weekend if possible.
Flags: needinfo?(sledru)
Brian's going to be out for a few days, so if there's any update here, let me know. Once approved, I can handle landing. Thanks for all your help in this, this release has been difficult for both devtools and release engineering, for sure
approved! thanks
Flags: needinfo?(sledru)
Flags: needinfo?(jsantell)
I took care of that for you. Thanks!
Flags: needinfo?(sledru)
Target Milestone: --- → Firefox 40
(In reply to Sylvestre Ledru [:sylvestre] from comment #10)
> Release Note Request (optional, but appreciated)
> [Why is this notable]: New devtool feature
> [Suggested wording]: Performance tools in the developer tools
> [Links (documentation, blog post, etc)]: I guess we will have some blog
> posts.

For release notes, here are some blog posts:

https://hacks.mozilla.org/2015/06/new-performance-tools-in-firefox-developer-edition-40/
https://hacks.mozilla.org/2015/06/power-surge-optimize-the-javascript-in-this-html5-game-using-firefox-developer-edition/

And a bunch of documentation (including tool usage docs and performance debugging scenarios):

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools/Performance
I think we can mark this bug as resolved at this point.  If we need to do any other uplifts they can be handled through the normal procedure on individual bugs.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 4 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
This was added to the release notes of Firefox40. Updating the relnote-firefox flag to 40+.
Product: Firefox → DevTools
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.